Author Topic: Honey house almost ready!  (Read 6634 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Honey house almost ready!
« on: August 10, 2016, 06:48:38 pm »
My best friend Kevin drove up today to help me get the final touches done on the trailer before I get the inspector in to hopefully sign off on it all.
The blocking and anchoring were done a few weeks ago.

The landscaping is all done, the road to the clearing behind the big willow is done, and the septic and water lines are in and connected. I have power connected and the new well pump and everything is also hooked up.

I am going to build 2 of these deck/staircase landings, one at each door and then eventually join the 2 with a full length deck. I had the area where the stairs and decks are going leveled and graveled. Top of the decks are 36" and the truck is 29". Some creative gravel placement and the tailgate should be level with the deck. A removable handrail will allow dolly work to be done off the truck.
Before anyone gives me a hard time about the steps being crooked (like on the trap-out thread :D), they are just leaning against the deck, they haven't been fastened yet.

I am hoping to get into the trailer and reasonably set up before the main harvest starts.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Honey house almost ready!
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2016, 07:18:28 pm »
Looking good Perry! A 2 or 3 ft square on 1/4" checker plate will also take care of the height different,
If the posts were 2 feet higher could have had support for a roof. But I know you don't get much snow or rain there! so no need for one.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2016, 07:40:53 pm »
Funny you mention the roof. The posts next to the trailer may become redundant if I don't need a hand rail on that side going up the steps and once the 2 decks are connected. (I'm sure the inspector will let me know) :eusa_wall:
Jane said the same thing though, too bad they weren't a bit taller and I could have had a nice overhang over the door.
Skirting and a good cleaning and I'm finished as far as I'm concerned, just hope the inspector feels the same way.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2016, 09:00:52 pm »
A couple of jars of honey will have the inspector thinking "all is good here"   :yes:

Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2016, 09:01:45 pm »
I did a removable section of hand rail for a hay loft Used the top rails that are used along chain link fence. I just board a hole through one post and left about an inch of wood on the second post with a hole down on an angle to drop a spike into to keep the rail from accidentally sliding out. The top rail st 42 and the 2nd about 1/2 way down.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2016, 06:15:36 am »
 Really looking good there Perry, you have been busy as the bees I see, hope the inspection goes good.

Ken

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2016, 04:42:40 pm »
Looking good Perry, best of luck with the inspection!  Can't wait to see the inside once you are all set up.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2016, 05:48:24 pm »
Put a RAMP on the opposite side from the steps, and make the front edge so you can back a pickup truck up to it, so not possible to have rails!!!    ;D

Really looking good Perry!!!   Are you going to skirt it for winter protection or just have the water etc shut off in the winter???   Looking really really good!   I hope one day to be able to set foot in there and help you extract!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #8 on: August 16, 2016, 07:38:11 pm »
I was out there today and built the second deck. All I have left to do is complete the steps on that one and put handrails on both. Skirting will be done when time and $$ permit.
The eventual goal is to connect the 2 with a deck across between them. I will try and have the railing on the right hand door removable so that I can back up to the deck and just dolly stuff off.
I had the plumber install drains on everything as I don't really see the need to keep the place heated all winter. It has a Bard heat pump and air conditioning unit on it, but I don't honestly know if I'll ever need it.
I am running the water off and on when I am out there to try and get some fresh water into the well (dug). The water in there is about 17' deep and has been sitting there for 3 or 4 years. I will have to get it tested before I can actually use it for cleaning stuff etc.
I am so close to getting it set up I can taste it. :) I will move all my extracting stuff out there as soon as the inspector is done. Then it may take a few days to figure out the most efficient lay-out for all the gear. Everything has drains etc. and if it's not done right I might end up having hoses and lines running across the floor.
Wish Apis lived closer. ;D
Forum Supporter

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2016, 06:17:56 pm »
Almost there. I will trim off the posts and cap them and it's done! There does not need to be a handrail on the inner side of the steps but I have posts there anyways because I'm betting if I didn't they would tell me I had to have a handrail there. I can always remove those posts. It's all pressure treated, expensive, but I never want to paint any of it.
I will have the front railing on the right hand side deck removable so I can back my truck right up to it to unload.
2 smoke detectors to install tomorrow and I'll call the inspector. If it passes I'll start moving my extracting line in.
Fingers crossed. ;D

Forum Supporter

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #10 on: August 22, 2016, 08:58:47 pm »
If you get a permit of occupancy and you'll have a super honey/dog house.  Your production will go up and you'll have more time for family.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #11 on: August 22, 2016, 11:47:19 pm »
Heck! I would live in there  ;D Don't forget to put a nice sound system in there so you can listen to the Eagles, or Waylon and Willie, maybe some Santana, or Doobie Bros, or Patsy Cline, Marty Robbins

Oh! and a coffee pot  ;) :o
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #12 on: August 23, 2016, 05:55:01 pm »
Appointment made and I will be having an inspection done tomorrow. ;D
I even turned on the Bard unit and tested the air conditioning and she fired right up! :)
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #13 on: August 29, 2016, 09:31:17 am »
Now THAT is a honey house!  Insanely jealous!  Waiting for inside pics to see how you set it up!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: August 29, 2016, 12:03:54 pm »
We are all in your corner Perry, we want to see you succeed, big time!   :yes:
Lee_Burough

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: August 29, 2016, 03:10:56 pm »
Perry,

Will you be able to get barrels in and out?
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #16 on: August 29, 2016, 03:39:20 pm »
Perry,

Will you be able to get barrels in and out?

I have 2 empty ones in there already! I have almost all my gear in there now, just the 600 lb milk tank to go, but I need a few hands on deck for that one.
My basement is looking fairly empty though. :laugh:

The inspector signed off after advising me that my handrail on the steps was 1/2" too low (35 1/2" instead of 36") in some spots, and that the tread on my steps should  be 9 1/2" and a couple were only 9", but he said he'd let that go. I'm waiting for it to arrive in the mail but I have been moving in anyway.
I will be starting my major pull of honey shortly and I need it to be set up or my back will give out. :D
Forum Supporter

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: August 29, 2016, 05:01:43 pm »
Looks like all systems go!!! :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2016, 04:45:00 pm »
Congratulations, hope to see photos of your harvest in progress.