Author Topic: Look at the back!  (Read 2757 times)

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Look at the back!
« on: November 30, 2017, 07:15:34 pm »
I keep telling folks to look at the back of the honey they are buying, look what I saw when buying excelsior at the dollarama.
Note - a best before date?  :-\ :P

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Look at the back!
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2017, 07:41:19 pm »
First clue it is not Canadian Honey? Color We have very little honey that is that color Only Blackberry and Cranberry Then buckwheat that is a lot darker. the rest of our honey is quite white.
I am going to have to take a trip to dollarama  Indian honey I hear they have some interesting flavors in their honey.
Selling at $8.80 a KG or $4.00 a pound In an bear container to boot For its size it is more costly container. If it has a nice flavor it may make some interesting mead.
First clue it is not Canadian Honey? Color We have very little honey that is that color Only Blackberry and Cranberry Then buckwheat that is a lot darker. the rest of our honey is quite white.
Thanks for sharing the find Perry.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 01, 2017, 05:55:10 am »
"Pure and Pasteurized"  That means heated to me. 

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2017, 11:18:50 am »
what I find puzzling is the "Grade #2 Amber". amber is for color that is fine but #2 grade, this is due to higher moisture content, the honey not being filtered fine enough or the taste not being as paletable as it could be. With it being labled pasteurized if its moisture content is over 18.6 it would fall under grade #2

Canada No. 2
6. Honey graded Canada No. 2 must
    (a) meet paragraphs 4(a) to (e) and paragraph 4(h);
    (b) contain not more than 18.6% moisture or, if its container bears the word "pasteurized" or "pasteurisé", not more than 20% moisture;
    (c) be free from any foreign material that would be retained on a screen having a sieve opening of 0.2489 mm and made of wire having a diameter of 0.125 mm;
    (d) have a flavour that may be slightly off but with its honey flavour being not substantially impaired;

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2017, 03:41:37 pm »
From what i've read, honey starts losing nutrients if heated for a long period at 98 F,  and most cooked out at 120 F? Here in Mo. the inside of a hive can reach 120 F, but the girls form a chain gang and vent the hive. I'm sure with that high of a temp. the honey does loose some nutrients? Okay Apis, is this about right?? Jack

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2017, 05:12:18 pm »
It is the Enzymes that are destroyed. For years it has been debated the usefulness of enzymes to humans. They are required to be used in the conversion of nectar into honey and are added to the nectar by the bees during the conversion process to honey, but once you have honey if the enzymes die you still have honey. In recent studies Enzymes have been proven to be useful to humans, So preserving them in the honey adds to the nutritional value of the honey consumed by humans, but like you said they are destroyed easily so even honey that has not been pasteurized could have little too no active enzymes left in it.
Pasteurization is used to kill any yeasts that are present in the honey. By doing so it allows it to be stored and sold at a higher moisture content with out the possibility that the honey could start to ferment. This is why store honey is so runny, it is allowed to have a higher moisture content.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2017, 05:31:52 pm »
Hmmm, i don't understand? If honey in the store has a higher moisture content, why doesn't it granulate ??? Jack

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: December 01, 2017, 06:46:26 pm »
Highly filtered so no pollen particles for the crystals to start on. And with heating to pasteurize it, it dissolves any crystals so there is no seed crystals to start the crystallization process.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2017, 07:09:09 pm »
Thanks. Jack