Author Topic: Caramelized Popcorn Mix  (Read 4587 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Caramelized Popcorn Mix
« on: February 25, 2018, 10:35:06 am »
The originator won $10,000 for charity with this recipe.  I like how you can substitute the raisins and apricots for any dried fruit you have on hand.  I also like to add pretzels.

1 (3.5 ounce) bag of good quality microwave popcorn like Newman's or Redenbacker's, ultra light variety
1 cup dry roasted salted peanuts
1/3 cup sunflower seeds
1/2 cup firmly packed brown sugar
1/4 cup (1/2 stick) butter
2 Tablespoons honey
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon baking soda
1/2 cup raisins
1/2 cup chopped dried apricots

Preheat oven to 300 degrees.  Grease a 9x13 metal baking pan.  A 1/2 baking sheet will also work. Don't use a pan with a thin bottom.  Pop the popcorn according to package directions.  Pour popcorn into a large bowl.  Here is where I make sure to not add any unpopped kernels.  Add the peanuts and sunflower seeds.  Mix well, set aside.
In a 1 quart measuring cup, or something similar that will be safe to handle, combine brown sugar, butter, honey, and salt.  Microwave uncovered for 1-2 minutes.  Stir and microwave until it boils.  Stir in baking soda.  Pour syrup mixture over popcorn mixture and stir until well mixed.  Place mixture in a well greased pan.  Bake for 5 minutes.  Remove from oven and add dried fruit.  Stir well.  Return to oven and bake another 10 minutes.  Remove from oven and stir.  Cool.  Store in a tightly sealed container.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Caramelized Popcorn Mix
« Reply #1 on: February 25, 2018, 10:21:07 pm »
thanks bakers! always looking for 'quick' recipes to give away to customers.  i think i would use pretzels as well, the small ones.

did you use the raisins and apricots or another dried fruit?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Caramelized Popcorn Mix
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2018, 06:04:18 am »
I use what I have on hand which varies dried apricots, dried cranberries, dried mixed berries, sunflower seeds, peanuts, dried cherries.  I never have used raisins as I don't usually keep them on hand. Aldi's is my go to for dried fruit as it is very affordable or I buy in bulk.  I like to use thin, delicate pretzels not the thick kind.