Author Topic: What a beautiful day!  (Read 1768 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
What a beautiful day!
« on: May 06, 2018, 01:46:05 pm »
Just wanted to say, after this past brutal winter that would just NOT go away, yesterday was a GOOD day to be a beekeeper.  Sunny skies, light winds, high temp in the upper 70's, man, it was glorious!  Inspected some hives, made a couple splits, installed a couple queens and added deeps to 4 splits made a couple weeks back, all side by side with my son Josh, who by the way is a great guy despite all the grief I give him.  We've been performing beekeeping tasks in much less than ideal conditions weather-wise, worrying about it, hurrying through and hoping for the best and then yesterday.  Seems I can get carried away complaining about the weather and stuff so I wanted to take a moment to say I'm gratful.  It's GOOD TO BE A BEEKEEPER!  Thanks for listening, Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.
The following users thanked this post: Perry, riverbee

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: What a beautiful day!
« Reply #1 on: May 06, 2018, 02:25:47 pm »
I love posts like this. Atta Boy! :)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 06, 2018, 02:59:12 pm »
It's like a big breath of fresh air when days like that come along.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: May 06, 2018, 03:02:44 pm »
Cool Ted! Our spring is getting warmer and warmer, longer stretches of warm days. My bones sure appreciate that.

Thru all of the crazy weather changes, I've manage several splits, caught and hived a swarm, made two nucs with queen cells, two swarms flew off, one leaving the queen behind  >:( sold one nuc and sure hope to sell 4 more.

This time of year the bees need A Lot of attention, Life is Good in Jen's bee yard  ;D 8)

Agreed Les
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2018, 10:36:51 pm »
YEP! Righ tthere with ya!
   been going through hives. hasn't been pretty. But it is nice to actually have a nice day or several to work in. thirteen hives left alive. They are treated and boxes added, and i am standing in the shed cleaning deadouts preparing them for more bees, spraying the good frames etc..
   I have to say, I lost eleven hives in February, and every one of those hives is HEAVY with honey.  The only guess I have is the stupid weather, warm and cold and warm and cold and warm and cold...   Almost killed me off too!   BUT, on the bright side, there are thirteen hives, they will soon become twenty! (Leaving a couple alone to make SOME honey!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 07, 2018, 05:45:40 am »
I couldn't have said it better, tedh.  We had stellar weather this weekend too.  Makes you invigorated.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #6 on: May 07, 2018, 06:33:32 am »
It's been nice up here as well, except for some rain.
With my truck in the shop I have been using the minivan to run around and a few days ago I got it mired in the lawn at the honey house. A neighbour with his Dodge 4 wheel drive could not pull me out (but he sure covered the van in mud). It eventually took a 4 wheel drive tractor to pull me out, and what a mess it made of the yard.
I spent an hour at the car wash before I brought the van home or my wife would have freaked out. :o
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2018, 10:45:52 am »
LOL @ Perry...   I wish you would take pics, or better, a few vids of your adventures. I mean, NOT that we want to see your wife yell at you, but, hey, we want to see your wife yell at you!   :yes:
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*