Author Topic: residue on pastic foundation  (Read 1340 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member
residue on pastic foundation
« on: May 12, 2020, 10:49:26 pm »
I was given some jester nuc boxes that had some moth eaten frames in them. i'm tossing the frames but still wonder what whether this residue is anything to be concerned about. when thumped on the floor it came off in flakes.

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: residue on pastic foundation
« Reply #1 on: May 13, 2020, 05:00:12 am »

looks like moth poop to me.  If I used plastic, I would use frames and all.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 13, 2020, 06:58:54 am »
as in plastic frames? I've not had much luck with plastic being drawn out. most the plastic I have came in nucs. I did try some foundation but as I said it's rarely been drawn out. I even tried recoating it with wax & spraying it with sugar syrup.
I was afraid this might be foulbrood or chalkbrood residue. I've never had either & have only seen photos.

Online iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 13, 2020, 09:19:24 am »
NO, it is moth larva residue. No harm.
I don't use plastic frames, foundation, or boxes.
To each his own. Maybe you could give the plastic to someone who likes it.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #4 on: May 13, 2020, 01:57:08 pm »
Hi Rober, I agree with it being wax moth residue. If it were me I wouldn't through out any of the frames or foundation. It's still good to use. However.. I would strongly recommend putting those frames and foundation in a freezer for 48 hours minimum. Then put in storage.

As far as getting the bees to draw wax on the plastic foundation.. definitely frustrating! Here is what I do. I start with 2 frames/foundation. If i have a very strong hive stuffed with bees, I put blank frames in the honey supers close to there the bees are filling drawn comb with nectar. My goal being getting the wax 'started' on the frames. It's hard for the bees to get the wax started on plastic, it takes time. But when the bees need wax quickly during the flow, they really get it done much quicker. Even if they get half of a foundation started with wax, at least that is something. So the bees will be drawing wax to store honey mostly, but the two frames that I put into the super, I just rotate out as soon as there is some wax started, like half of a foundations worth. Once they have wax placed and started, they can really finish it later when they need it.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline RAST

« Reply #5 on: May 13, 2020, 02:18:58 pm »
The plastic frames are also good for getting the bees to draw my starter strip frames straight instead of crosscombing. Then pull them and drop the wood w/strips in.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 13, 2020, 05:07:49 pm »
these frames were in a barn for over a year & there's no comb left on them. no need to freeze. i'll find them a home. i'm with iddee. I have no use for plastic frames, foundation, or hives. someone gave me a couple plastic bottom boards & inner & outer covers. the bottom boards warped so bad that that bees could get thru the cracks. I use the outer covers on stacks of empty boxes.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 13, 2020, 05:52:11 pm »
Swarms, packages, and splits will draw out comb on plastic foundation.  I feed them and they do the job.