Author Topic: Preparing for a move of Long Langs  (Read 1462 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Preparing for a move of Long Langs
« on: May 31, 2020, 12:46:31 pm »
3Reds and I bought a 10 acre tract of property in February.  We decided we needed to be the landowners for our hives.  We didn't realize we've got to grow from 4 hives to 8 in order for our land to qualify for the Ag Valuation.

It's been a long process converting a tract of land with nothing but Mesquite an Huisache into a property that will have room for hives and everything else we need.

Since February, we've added a culvert, road, tractor, and open faced barn.  I've been working to shred and clear patches of ground far enough back that marauding teens don't invade the bee yard.

We split one hive about a month ago because the bees had become too defensive.  So, we've been able to move the split onto the property.  We now have a total of five hives, and just need three more.

We thought we had our sixth hive a few weeks ago when a neighbor called and asked us to remove a swarm from a 5 gallon vase.  I was able to capture the hive and moved it out to the new property, but the bees absconded after a day.

My project now it to fit each of our long langs with a robber screen.  I think back and forth robbing is what made the hives defensive last month.  I want the robber screens not just for robbing, but also to block the bees in the night before we decide to move the hives.  The legs to the hives are on the ends, making it impossible to use standard robber screens.  You can see from the pictures below how each entrance is different.

I've got friend who is handy with wood making the screens for me.  He's done an excellent job.  We plan to wait until July, after the nectar flow (if we have one this year), and then move the hives on my son't trailer to their new home.  It's going to involve tractors with pallet forks on both ends of the journey, secure tie-downs, slow careful driving, and lots of luck.

I've figured out that legs on hives isn't a great idea.  The next time I have a long lang built, I'm going to have just the box and have it set down on a stand.  I wish I'd thought of that before.

Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Preparing for a move of Long Langs
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2020, 12:54:58 pm »
Keep us posted!

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2020, 01:03:28 pm »
What Bakers said, only I’ll add with photos if possible!  :yes:
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2020, 01:35:41 pm »
Like these?

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2020, 04:11:11 pm »
That is a great start.  :yes:
Look forward to seeing the journey unfold...
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2020, 08:43:06 am »
run a 1x4 band 4-6" from the bottom of the legs to brace them for the move. wouldn't hurt anything to leave them on permanently. how far is this land from wear you live?

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2020, 11:07:17 am »
Thanks Rober,

I'd decided to put some 1X4's around the legs.  If I go low enough, it shouldn't be hard to get the pallet forks under the bodies.

It is about a 12 mile drive, mostly on small Farm to Market roads with lots of turns.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2020, 02:54:17 pm »
put a waterproof box by the hives for your smoker, hive tools, etc. 12 miles doesn't sound like much until you forget something. my 3 outyards are 2.5, 3.5, & 6 miles from my house. i'm going to cut back on hives this season & the yard that's 6 miles away will be abandoned. the 3.5 mile yard won't be far behind.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: June 01, 2020, 03:12:45 pm »
Thanks for the advice.

The plan is for all 8 hives to be in one location.  We've built a barn and I'm moving almost all of my beekeeping necessities out there.

There is no electricity or well on the property, so I'm planning on leaving my generator out there and we keep a 5 gallon jug of water in the barn.