Author Topic: bees aren't finished with me  (Read 1707 times)

Offline rober

• Gold Member
bees aren't finished with me
« on: October 09, 2023, 04:11:56 pm »
my daughter picked my last hive 6 weeks ago. it's strange to not have lots of bees around. i did notice a few more bees being around recently. i've not been outside as much as i'm still recovering from my back surgery. when i did venture down to the back of my property i noticed bees coming & going from a swarm trap. put a veil on & took a peek & had 3 frames of bees & a laying queen. must have been a fall absconding. put them in a nuc & added 2 frames.
also, i still get countless calls from people i sold nucs to or mentored over the years asking advice. so i guess i'm not quite finished with the girls.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: bees aren't finished with me
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2023, 05:42:53 pm »
Yep, that's the way it goes. I retired 15 years ago and gave away all my bees. Caught swarms every year since. 3 this year.  :o :laugh:
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2023, 10:05:33 am »
i'm not sure how i got on some but i cannot count all of the swarm lists i'm on. more than 5 p.d., fire depts, & park depts. cities, mo conservation dept, several bee associations, on & on. i couldn't do cut-outs this year due to my surgery. i quit doing trapouts cuz it's not worth the effort ( to me ). but next year is my back allow i'll continue with single story cutouts & catching swarms. i've been averaging 25 swarms a year for 15 years. many of those were sold. in the future i'll give my daughter as many as she wants & will sell the rest. what can i say i really enjoy catching swarms.
i'm glad i preview posts before posting them. i tried abbreviating association & it came up donkey instead of as*.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2023, 11:21:55 am »
rober,  are you able to do a mite count on that nuc?  I would be curious since they likely absconded.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2023, 12:13:24 pm »
i will shortly. i built this one & it has a screened bottom board. it's one of the few pieces of equipment that i have left. i had a guy buy most everything that i hadn't given my daughter a month ago. the bee shed is nearly empty. still have jokerst nuc boxes, smokers, gloves, & suits. i need to move the gloves so the mice don't get them. those boogers can squeeze tru the tiniest cracks. their skulls must be flexible.