Author Topic: Tapco Hives  (Read 6662 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Tapco Hives
« on: April 09, 2018, 05:32:18 pm »
Well, here’s another new idea on how to keep bees:

https://tapcomb.com/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=cpc&utm_campaign=CL_WCA&utm_term=01&utm_content=Images-T1

Pre order now for a 40% discount - $400
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline moebees

Re: Tapco Hives
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2018, 06:51:02 pm »
Thanks but I'll pass. ;D
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians - Isabella Rossellini

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2018, 11:47:29 pm »
wow.......flow hive.........tapcomb........what next?

not saying this to be negative, just saying the general public, who for some, get into keeping bees when they see this stuff and invest the money without knowledge is incredible.  i read the website and read their 'beekeeping 101'......

thanks wm for posting the link. i get asked about the flow hive. i steer those that ask (that have never kept bees) away from it. i think, in my HO, it takes experience to make these work. the general public, or those that have asked thinks you just put bees in these, turn the tap on, get honey.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline moebees

« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2018, 11:52:59 pm »
Excellent points riverbee.  There is allot of marketing hype going on and steering people in the wrong direction.  At my local Farm and Fleet they have a sign in front of the beekeeping supplies.  "The hobby that is easy and pays sweet dividends."

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #4 on: April 10, 2018, 02:55:48 pm »
i steer those that ask (that have never kept bees) away from it. i think, in my HO, it takes experience to make these work.

I totally agree and give the same advice.   I have nothing against the flow frames and yes they do work,  but there are just too many variables already for newbies to overcome and this just adds to it.

I recently spent 4 days with Michael Bush and did get to pick his brain on these as he was one of the early beta testers under NDA.   In addition to testing them in Nebraska,  he also went to Austalia as well.   I know there was a lot of nay sayers about the video of them tapping into the hive with open containers.  Michael confirmed that he witnessed the same thing in person and there was no issues with bees trying to rob.    What we fail to realize is that Australia has a continuous honey flow year round so robbing is not an issue.  We all know bees prefer nectar to honey.   

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline moebees

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2018, 11:11:21 pm »
I don't disagree with your points Robo but its Australia.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 12, 2018, 06:24:29 am »
I have my doubts whether the Tapcomb's guys are even beekeepers they look to be located in the north west USA but have copied Flow Frames, 6 flow frame, 8 brood frame hive design and doesn't realize that in North America 10 frame brood boxes are used with 7 flow frames needed to fill the honey super.  At least the Chinese know what beekeepers in North America use and make to suit this market.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.