Author Topic: Update on the rains in South Texas  (Read 2059 times)

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Update on the rains in South Texas
« on: May 22, 2021, 10:23:51 am »
The update is, we are still wet, and getting wetter.  The tropical depression is dumping more rain on us.

Here are some pictures from the 19th, the day after our latest big rain:

Some of our bins with spare frames tried to escape from the barn, along with a Jester nuc:

On the 20th, we found the water was still high:

The water had gone down maybe a couple of inches yesterday:

The barn is still full of water and the bins still float, but haven't tried to escape.

We basically live in a bowl.  There is a creek about three miles away, and everyone else's water flows to the creek to the Northeast of us, or to the creek's reservoir to the Northwest of us.  We are caught in the middle.

I am thankful we only keep bees on the property.  The neighbors to either side of us live in manufactured homes.  They've got water up to their doors.  One has never put in a culvert in the bar ditch, and must park their car on the FM road and wade through the bar ditch to get out.  The other moved in about two weeks before the rains.  They have a culvert, but no road, just mud.  They must be questioning their judgment about now.

We replaced three queens last Saturday.  We checked on one on Thursday, and she is okay.  We plan on wading out to check on the other two today, when it stops raining.  We left the tape over the candy on one of the hives because they were pretty hostile towards her.  We need to remove the tape today, assuming the bees aren't still angry.

The good news is there are lots of flowers, mostly Mexican Hat, sticking their little heads above the water and the bees are working the flowers.

I'm afraid it will take a month of dry weather for all of this water to soak through the clay and bring our property back to normal.

Oh, my sunflower field is still standing.  This is a picture I took on the 16th, after the first flooding of the property:

Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Update on the rains in South Texas
« Reply #1 on: May 22, 2021, 10:26:13 am »
Hang in there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 22, 2021, 10:28:52 am »
Hang in there!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Thanks. We are trying. 

Once we make sure all of our queens have been released, I'm afraid the bees will be on their own for a while. 

I hope they know how to manage themselves without our help.

Offline Grandma Bear

« Reply #3 on: May 22, 2021, 06:40:29 pm »
That looks just awful Wandering Man! I hope the water goes down quickly and that you can get to your bees soon.
The following users thanked this post: Wandering Man

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 22, 2021, 06:51:22 pm »
That looks just awful Wandering Man! I hope the water goes down quickly and that you can get to your bees soon.

Despite picking up another 1/4" of rain today, the water has gone down a little.  The apiary is still sitting in water, but there are small islands of land poking up.  The grass is now taller than our sunflowers.

We went ahead and checked on three hives today.  The bees don't seem to mind that we are getting our feet wet.

I don't know why the sunflowers won't look at me.  They are always staring at our neighbors.  Aren't sunflowers supposed to follow the sun?  Maybe our neighbor has a shinier disposition then we do.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 23, 2021, 09:34:53 am »
I was concerned that you would be underwater.  I'd put supers or an additional super on the Langstroth hives and call it good for a while after the queen is released.  Are they saying that this is a 100 year flood or something like that? 
Anyway, glad that your bees stayed dry.