Author Topic: Splits  (Read 1843 times)

Offline Blair Sampson

Splits
« on: May 31, 2021, 12:15:15 pm »
I'm aware that a split should be queenless for 24hrs prior to adding a queen cell but how far in advance (days) can you make/prepare splits prior to adding queen cells?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Splits
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 01:41:38 pm »
 I do not wait 24 hours. If they have larva, they will make their own cells in 12 hours. I wait 10 minutes and add the cell. If you wait very long, they are apt to drift to the nearest hives and you will be left with no bees,
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Blair Sampson

« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2021, 04:27:56 pm »
........all fine and good but I'm still unsure of how far in advance I make my splits in preparation for cell introduction?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2021, 08:52:12 pm »
You introduce the cell within minutes of making the split. They know they are queenless almost immediately.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Blair Sampson

« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2021, 06:29:46 am »
Thanks for providing the minimum amount of time required for cell introduction. What I really need to know is what is the suggested maximum amount of time between making splits and cell introduction? Case scenario: In one week's time I will have numerous ripe cells ready for introduction into splits. I have numerous splits to make in various bee yards and wish to start asap. How far ahead of cell introduction can splits be made? 

Offline RAST

« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2021, 07:25:46 am »
Blair, you can make them up a week ahead of time if you wish as long as you have brood in there to keep their laying worker "gene" suppressed. However as Iddee pointed out, they will start trying to make their own queen like in a walkaway split. The longer a hive is queenless, the harder it is to get them to accept a "foreign" queen. If they have their own cells started they may kill yours and wait on theirs.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: June 01, 2021, 07:45:14 am »
That's the point I am trying to make. If you make splits and put eggs or small larva in the splits, you won't need to put cells in. They will make cells the first 12 hours. If you wait a week, you will need to remove their queen cells before adding yours.
― Shel Silverstein
The following users thanked this post: Blair Sampson

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: June 01, 2021, 10:53:52 am »
for what it’s worth, I also just make them as needed. I do not “prep” the hives.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau
The following users thanked this post: Blair Sampson