Author Topic: Looking for Honey Toasted Pecan recipe  (Read 5072 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Looking for Honey Toasted Pecan recipe
« on: July 13, 2014, 11:35:50 am »
Does anyone have a good recipe for Honey toasted or roasted pecans?  I have recently got hooked on them and have been buying them at a local grocery chain.  They come in a bin and you bag your own for $9.09 a Pound!  I have looked at a few recipes on line, but their not quite the same.  The label the customer prints out includes the ingredients.  It reads as follows: sugar, pecans, butter, salt, honey and soy lecithin.  I would really like to find a recipe that includes the butter and maybe less sugar.  One can really taste the butter and salt when you eat these.  They are so good.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
Re: Looking for Honey Toasted Pecan recipe
« Reply #1 on: July 13, 2014, 02:13:36 pm »
I found this one on Facebook and saved it for later to try.  I like crockpot recipes.  Of course, change out the almonds for pecans. Throw it in and forget about it for a while.

CROCKPOT CINNAMON ALMONDS

Ingredients:

1 1/2 C. Sugar
1 1/2 C. Brown Sugar
3 Tbsp. Cinnamon
1/8 tsp. Salt
1 Egg White
2 tsp. vanilla
3 Cups Almonds
1/4 C. Water

Directions:
In a medium sized bowl, mix together sugars, cinnamon, and salt. Set aside. In another medium sized bowl, whisk the egg white and vanilla until it’s a little frothy. Add almonds. Make sure the almonds are thoroughly coated in the egg white mixture. Add cinnamon mixture to the almonds and toss until coated.

Thoroughly spray with the stoneware of your crock pot with non-stick cooking spray and add the mixture of almonds and sugars.

Cook on low ( with the lid on) 3-4 hours stirring every 20 minutes. In the last hour, add the 1/4 C. of water and stir well. This ensures a crunchy yummy coating. (*make sure after you've added the water that you continue to cook the nuts for another 45 minutes to an hour.)

You have to stir really well, especially as it gets later in the cooking process.

Line a baking sheet with parchment and spread the almonds flat to cool. The almonds will be sticky at this point, so make sure you separate them a little and have no large mounds.

Offline tbonekel

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 13, 2014, 09:26:50 pm »
Um, where is the honey?

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 14, 2014, 01:02:20 am »
I use to sell honey to a guy that made honey roasted nuts and dried fruit and nut bars with honey but he would never give up his recipe. Sorry
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #4 on: July 14, 2014, 09:25:47 am »
Um, where is the honey?

:-[, sorry....hehe. 
Include the same amount of honey as sugar called for in a recipe if the amount of sugar is 1 cup or less. Use two-thirds to three-fourths as much honey as sugar for all quantities beyond the first cup. Stay near two-thirds to temper sweetness, or use up to three-fourths for significantly sweeter baked goods.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2014, 09:21:08 pm »
I use to sell honey to a guy that made honey roasted nuts and dried fruit and nut bars with honey but he would never give up his recipe. Sorry
DANG!

I contacted another beekeeping acquaintance and asked if she had a recipe.  She did and I tried it.  It's good, but not exactly what I was looking for.  I would like a stronger butter flavor.  Here it is:

Honey Roasted Nuts
1/4 C. Honey
1/4 C.butter
1 tsp cinnamon, divided
2 C. Walnuts or pecans
2-3 Tablespoons granulated sugar for coating

Line a pan with foil and grease foil.
In a saucepan over medium heat combine honey, butter and 1/2 tsp cinnamon.  Bring to a boil and boil for 2 minutes, stirring constantly.  Put nuts into a medium bowl.  Pour honey mixture over nuts and stir to coat.  Spread onto prepared foil lined pan.
Bake in a preheated 325 degree oven for 10-15 minutes or until nuts are glazed and slightly brown.  Cool in pan for 20 minutes.
In a separate bowl combine granulated sugar and remaining cinnamon.  Toss glazed nuts in sugar mix to evenly coat.