Author Topic: Solstice  (Read 18627 times)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: Solstice
« Reply #20 on: December 23, 2013, 07:13:09 pm »
Jay thats exactly what I do.. I use sugar on newspaper across the top bars..   WInter being what it is here I put this on when they get the final wrap for the winter.
   WITH luck I get a chance to check on them sometime before March, but it looks like this winter will be one of those that we wont get decent temps until March arrives..  25 below wind chill tonight -13 without the wind...   I'll be amazed if they survive till I can look in on them.
   FA few years ago the wife and I were horseback riding on the third of January when it was 50 degrees wondering if it meant global warming had arrived in our neck of the woods...    NOPE, not here yet!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #21 on: December 23, 2013, 08:02:06 pm »
Good info and reminder Iddee, thanks!

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #22 on: December 23, 2013, 08:35:08 pm »
Lazy, in the winter at what temp do you open your lid?

« Last Edit: December 23, 2013, 10:19:11 pm by jaybird »
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #23 on: December 23, 2013, 08:44:36 pm »
50 in a NECESSARY situation or emergency, 60+ for inspection..
  I've seen others open hives (in vids) wearing parkas with snow blowing all about.. and can hear my mentor calling the perpetrator a darned greenhorn...
   According to him...  If you have put the sugar on, and left them enough honey for even a bad winter, you have NO business in their business till you can get by with a long sleeved shirt...     for what its worth.

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #24 on: December 23, 2013, 10:17:49 pm »
Good Metaphor. I needed to get in and put popsicle sticks on the top rim about a week or so ago, but I waited for a 50 day. Hubby and I are so clumsy when we are doing work right next to each other, it was a bit comical.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #25 on: December 23, 2013, 10:20:30 pm »
and when you add the sugar on newspaper and then button up the hive, do you ever see moldy sugar when you open it up again?

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #26 on: December 24, 2013, 09:13:39 am »

Not to this point..   I think that has some to do with the top vent allowing most of the moisture to get out.  Will try to get pics of the hives this spring when I open them up.

*Sponsor*

Offline blueblood

• Gold Member
    • https://www.facebook.com/scottshoneyandlipbalms
« Reply #27 on: December 24, 2013, 10:55:57 am »
I have avoided putting granulated sugar on my hives in the winter because I understood bees do not have the water sources like they do in warmer weather to help invert the sugar.  True or False? 

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: December 24, 2013, 11:13:41 am »
Water in hives in winter is the biggest killer of colonies. So yes, they do have water. The sugar absorbs some of it, which may help the bees more than the food aspect.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #29 on: December 24, 2013, 12:36:54 pm »
Blue- I haven't used sugar feeding yet, but might have to this year. It's my understanding that drivert sugar is the best to use, because it's very finely ground sugar and easier for the bees to digest. Don't use powdered sugar!

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #30 on: December 24, 2013, 03:14:57 pm »
what iddee said, the bees will utilize it, not the best option, more for emergency purposes really.  i know many beeks do use sugar for winter feed like lazy does.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #31 on: December 24, 2013, 05:20:41 pm »
The divert sugar doesnt have the anti clumping stuff, makes for better blocks and less mess than normal granulated sugar..      As Iddee said, there IS condensation in the hive, the trick is to make sure there isnt too much..  I imagine if there is NONE that the bees wont make use of sugar at all..   I KNOW what I do is controversial and others have had problems.. but I have to wonder how many of those problems are climate and method related??  In all the years I have been assisting I have not SEEN the problems I have seen others having..  that does NOT mean I wont...   As It was taught to me.. the sugar going on at the outset of cold weather wont be touched, or fussed with because the bees are in cluster closer to the bottom of the hive, and will begin to work their way to the top..    Depending on the winter and amount of stores they use..  They MAY reach the Sugar, and begin using it.. if they DONT reach the top, then  they will likely not have touched the sugar..
   It needs to come out before they become so active they start cutting up the paper to get it out of their way, so you cant just leave it on there..  Once they start flying Well I have the open feeders set up, the sugar comes off and becomes syrup..   so nothing is wasted...
   Right, or wrong.. thats what I was taught, and it is working... so far..   (knocks on wood)

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #32 on: December 26, 2013, 12:43:44 pm »
lazy, there is nothing right or wrong in beekeeping, if it works, don't try to fix it until it is broken..... :)

and as iddee has always said, beekeeping is regional. also, a good point by you, climate and method.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline BoilerJim

• https://www.facebook.com/jim.taul
« Reply #33 on: December 31, 2013, 01:29:09 pm »
CAUTION: Once you start feeding for spring, they will ramp up brooding. They can run out of food and starve the whole hive within 2 to 4 days. NEVER let the feeder get empty once spring feeding has began.""
[/quote]

Thanks iddee. I think I have violated this rule in the past and paid a hefty price for my mistake.
Jim (BoilerJim)
Proud Member (Hoosier Division)