Author Topic: Protective Gear  (Read 26445 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Protective Gear
« Reply #40 on: January 06, 2014, 02:57:59 pm »
This is my smoker, I haven't used any other to compare with. It doesn't stay lit, but I'm not sure I'm loading it right either

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #41 on: January 06, 2014, 03:04:33 pm »
jen put some starter material in the smoker first. (don't fill it)  for example i use crumpled paper, loosely set it in, shove it down a little with a hive tool, and hit the paper with a propane torch. squeeze the bellows a couple times and add your burning material.  i use cedar chips.  i add a little at a time, and puff, until i get the smoke effect, then continue to add what i need, again puffing it as i do. 
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: January 06, 2014, 03:06:58 pm »
It looks like a good one. How about you atarting a thread asking forum members what their advice is for lighting and fueling smokers.  You'll be surprised how many different suggestions you'll get. 
I won't say anything till your thread goes up on line.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #43 on: January 06, 2014, 03:08:50 pm »
riv- when I started on this forum, somehow I got the impression that Iddee was the wizard and I was Darothy and her friends standing there asking for a way back home. But I now see that Iddee doles out courage, heart, brain, and a home... for the bees. Ha! ;)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #44 on: January 06, 2014, 03:11:02 pm »
efmesch- I think I shall do that!

And by the way.. Nice Beard!  ;)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2014, 08:42:14 am »

A brush?? I buy 5 paint brushes of different sizes at the flea market for 99 cent. A wing feather from a chicken, turkey or duck works even better.

OH, and before I forget..... "Wear as much as you need to be comfortable working the bees."

I use an old soft bristled wallpapering brush.  Identical to a bee brush. 
As for smoker fuel...I use old blue jeans, t shirts, or anything 100% cotton that is not mend-able and has been washed 1000 times.  If I have something nature has provided and it's dry, I'll go with that.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #46 on: January 07, 2014, 10:08:00 am »
Iddee doles out courage, heart, brain,

Ooooooh, I wanna finish this...............I really wanna..............better not, I like it here too much!  :D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #47 on: January 07, 2014, 03:49:09 pm »
open ended....   "Bites fingers"        :'(
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #48 on: January 07, 2014, 06:07:52 pm »
okay so back to protective gear LOL!....... :D :laugh:

i have a question for you all.......who here is using the ultrabreeze suits and jackets?  i know blue is, and is encouraging me to purchase ultrabreeze.  is it true that these are 'virtually stingproof' ?  (lol, nothing i wear is stingproof, where there's a will there's a way with a bee and the butt end....lol).  the reason i ask is because i am an allergic beekeeper.....of the anaphylactic kind, (yes i know iddee, thread coming soon to your favorite forum... :D )  when i get back to working bees, i may consider purchasing the ultrabreeze, anyone?  btw, i am of the opinion that nothing is stingproof. 

so anyone wearing the ultrabreeze?
Forum Sponsor

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #49 on: January 07, 2014, 07:53:17 pm »
okay so back to protective gear LOL!....... :D :laugh:

i have a question for you all.......who here is using the ultrabreeze suits and jackets?  i know blue is, and is encouraging me to purchase ultrabreeze.  is it true that these are 'virtually stingproof' ?  (lol, nothing i wear is stingproof, where there's a will there's a way with a bee and the butt end....lol).  the reason i ask is because i am an allergic beekeeper.....of the anaphylactic kind, (yes i know iddee, thread coming soon to your favorite forum... :D )  when i get back to working bees, i may consider purchasing the ultrabreeze, anyone?  btw, i am of the opinion that nothing is stingproof. 

so anyone wearing the ultrabreeze?

I don't use an ultrabreeze, but I do have a ventilated  suit from Pigeon Mountain.  I got my dad a ventilated suit from H. T. Krantz (they had a special purchase on that other forum).  Neither of us has been stung through the suit since we've had them.  The only time I've been stung was after I took the veil off, I got stung by my eye.

I have read that if you squish one (like under your arm or sit on one) or some places around the chin and neck, you can get stung (but I can't vouch for that).

They ARE cool!  But they are heavy (because of all the material I suppose).
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Zulu

« Reply #50 on: January 07, 2014, 09:14:42 pm »
I have a Breeze jacket, not been stung through it, but seldom wear it either.

very nice jacket, only issue I have is how poorly the inside of the sleeves are finished. Scratchy as hades  due to velcro (male and hard side) folded into seams

But still worth it.
Zulu's Bees

Offline Marbees

« Reply #51 on: January 07, 2014, 10:23:42 pm »
Never got stung through my ultra breeze jacket
What I would prescribe for you RB is following
1. light weight green rubber boots
2. complete ultra breeze suit
3. thin rubber gloves, just a bit thicker than dishwashing gloves

Worked bees in dark, rain and all kinds of weather when normal people stay away from hives.
Also, harvesting honey blowing bees, with zillion bees in the air with only one goal - to sting you
The only time I got stung was when I would bend and expose bare skin, which you avoid by wearing a full suit.
Bee Remarkable

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2014, 11:24:17 pm »
I don't use anything if I'm just lifting the lid to take a peek, or even take the lid off for a bit.

Then I have a bee shirt of which does just fine if I'm going to be lifting frames or tearing down the entire hive for fall or spring inspection. I duct tape the cuffs and the bottom of my jeans. Works for me 

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #53 on: January 08, 2014, 08:14:20 am »

where there's a will there's a way with a bee and the butt end....lol).

So true and so funny.  Your allergy is not funny and recall you had a very serious reaction to a sting.
Someone mentioned light weight green boots for working the hives.  I recently purchased some.  The occasional sting(s) on the ankle is so preventable.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #54 on: January 08, 2014, 12:28:42 pm »
"Worked bees in dark, rain and all kinds of weather when normal people stay away from hives."

normal people you say eh marbees?  what is normal about beekeepers?  lol!...... :D
and i get some really good headlight looks and non disney language about my desire to continue keeping bees with an allergy. 
thin rubber gloves, i have never worn these, i thought the bees could sting through these?
thanks for all the input on the ultra breeze.it is funny about the bees, seems many times i was nailed AFTER i took the veil off, or the gloves, or managed to squish one somewhere, or they managed to find the eensy tear some where.  exposed skin is open season..... :D
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #55 on: January 08, 2014, 02:08:27 pm »
I don't wear gloves 90% of the time. I just go slow and be considerate of the bees. Buuuut once in awhile the ladies will have had enough of my intrution and give me a sting or two on my hands. then I just walk away for about 10 minutes and all is well. I don't mind cause I have arthritis in my hands and the stings help make them feel better.

Offline kebee

• WorldWide Beekeeper Emeritus
  • Gold Member
  • May GOD be with us
« Reply #56 on: January 08, 2014, 03:49:32 pm »
Riverbee I have one and it is kind of thick because it is made up of layers and I don't think a bee or any kind of stinging bee could get it body close enough to sting you and I would recommend it for you in a heart beat. The only thing  I don't like is it is hard to get on and szip up, and there has to be a breeze for it to be cool.

Ken

Offline Gary

« Reply #57 on: January 08, 2014, 07:35:49 pm »
I've read about metal screen vails being easier to see through in two different blogs. I've not seen them advertised in any of the catalogs though. Anybody know where they can be found? I need all the help I can get in finding queens. Also I know that beekeepers who work Africanized bees use only metal mesh.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #58 on: January 08, 2014, 07:42:52 pm »
Gonna answer two questions here:

Riverbee, I have an Ultrabreeze full suit and cannot say enough about it. Heavy, as mentioned above but well made and yet to be stung through it.

Gary, If I'm correct, the folding veils use metal mesh do they not? I have one that is on my first beesuit and zippers on. It is the same as the folding type that tie on. I can easily see eggs through this screen versus the veils on my Ultrbreeze or Sherriff suits.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Walt B

• Red Gate Farm
« Reply #59 on: January 08, 2014, 08:04:50 pm »
I got the Ultrabreeze jacket a few years ago (prior to the death of Bill Samples) and am quite pleased with it. Within the last year or so I purchased the suit. Each has it's purpose with the major one making me comfortable with what I am doing. Was removing a swarm from a meter box and squatted down with a couple of bees on the back of my legs...that gave me the initiative to get a suit.  :laugh:

It's usually in the 90 to 100 degree range when I play, and I sweat like a pig, even with the Ultrabreeze. I can't imagine what it would be like with a "regular" suit. When a breeze comes, you can feel it through the suit, which is quite welcome in the heat.

I think the ones from Pidgeon Mountain and the like are probably the same type. One thing with the Ultrabreeze: if it is the wrong size you may send it back and they will send you a different size, postage paid. Thought it was a nice touch.

Walt
Red Gate Farm
Stamp Out Racism