Author Topic: Waxing Plastic Foundation  (Read 31837 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Waxing Plastic Foundation
« on: February 11, 2014, 06:17:00 pm »
a great little article for anyone looking for a 'how to' to add wax to unwaxed foundation or additional wax to waxed plastic foundation.  i use and like pierco's waxed foundation, black for brood and white for honey supers.  every once in awhile i will add a little extra wax to the foundation. i use this method or the little paint rollers:

"Plastic foundation needs more wax. Here's a good way to make up what the manufacturers leave off.
The most efficient method I’ve found of applying additional wax to plastic foundation is with a four inch foam paint brush, available at most paint or home improvement stores. (Home Depot has the most durable brushes, at a very competitive price) Simply dip the brush into melted wax and lightly sweep it across the plastic foundation. The object is to build up a wax reserve on the edges of the cells, not fill the base of the cells with wax. Start with several horizontal strokes working across the foundation from top to bottom, follow up with a couple vertical strokes from each end. Repeat the process on the flip side. Several repetitions may be necessary to build up the desired thickness."

Waxing Frames By: Roy Hendrickson

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline BoilerJim

• https://www.facebook.com/jim.taul
Re: Waxing Plastic Foundation
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2014, 06:58:44 pm »
Nice post Riverbee.
Jim (BoilerJim)
Proud Member (Hoosier Division)

Offline Edward

« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2014, 09:16:22 pm »
This is how i do it, it helps if the frames are warm ish I leave them out in the sunshine, friends have warmed them in a cupboard , it they are Cold they get too much wax on them.

mvh Edward  :P
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best-" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2014, 09:23:34 pm »
Why would you want to waste good bees wax,it would be like putting a dip of ice cream on a cow pattie.I would love to have the ice cream, but wouldn't touch it because of what it's on. :o Sorry little buddy, i couldn't help it. :laugh: :laugh: Jack  (OK perry, let me have it  ;D)

Offline Edward

« Reply #4 on: February 11, 2014, 09:23:49 pm »
I forgot to add that I do it at a comfortable work area so I don't have to bend my back all the time in an uncomfortable angle.  :o

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best-" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were.

Offline Edward

« Reply #5 on: February 11, 2014, 09:25:53 pm »
Why would you want to waste good bees wax,it would be like putting a dip of ice cream on a cow pattie.I would love to have the ice cream, but wouldn't touch it because of what it's on. :o Sorry little buddy, i couldn't help it. :laugh: :laugh: Jack  (OK perry, let me have it  ;D)

You seem a bit grumpy, maybee the fiber in the cow pattie would do you good  :o

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2014, 09:31:13 pm »
TOUCHE', Edward.   :laugh:
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2014, 09:38:42 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Edward, you just made my day!  ;)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 11, 2014, 09:47:20 pm »
No thank you, the pattie has been through 4 stomachs already, so probable not much fiber left. :P It's not that i need fiber, the temps, have been below freezing, with snow on the ground for two weeks and i'm bored :-\. So i try to stir rb and perry up, and telling the truth about plastic foundation will usually do it.  :laugh: Jack

Offline keeperofthebees

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2014, 09:50:27 pm »
No thank you, the pattie has been through 4 stomachs already, so probable not much fiber left. :P It's not that i need fiber, the temps, have been below freezing, with snow on the ground for two weeks and i'm bored :-\. So i try to stir rb and perry up, and telling the truth about plastic foundation will usually do it.  :laugh: Jack

Like how the bees have trouble staying warm with plastic foundation instead of wax ;D 

Offline Edward

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2014, 09:53:51 pm »
If things are a bit chilly  :) you could always pick one up, they come out warm  :D  :no:

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2014, 06:28:33 am »
Jack, as much as I want to have you finally admit to river and me that we are right and you are wrong.....

Don't you ever change!  (except your foundation that is)  ;)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #12 on: February 12, 2014, 06:46:35 am »
a snip...
The most efficient method I’ve found of applying additional wax to plastic foundation is with a four inch foam paint brush, available at most paint or home improvement stores

tecumseh..
the author must not have my own understanding of EFFICIENT.  perhaps he/she has as degree or two in art appreciation????

not really my idea since I got this directly from one of Brooks's Missouri friends... instead of a brush get yourself one of those small diameter foam trim paint rollers (I buy my own from Lowes).  you do have to set the roller in the wax for a bit to let the foam absorb the wax but once you do it is one quick pass with the roller, place roller back in wax, flip the wax foundation, another quick pass and you are done.  as far as I KNOW efficiency in this process is also about the size of the wax pot relative to the job at hand.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #13 on: February 12, 2014, 07:02:08 am »
Here is another way to re-wax foundation.
Jack, please note how long it takes him to install after rewaxing the foundation.  :)

Forum Supporter

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #14 on: February 12, 2014, 09:30:55 am »
What kind of residue or disease lurk in those small chunks of black wax that is coated over on the plastic with clean good smelling bees wax that both bees and beekeepers treasure. I'll take my ice cream straight from the White Mountain churn, not served on a cow pattie. 8) Jack  :laugh:

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2014, 09:40:57 am »
Well, I might agree with you just partially, a little bit Jack. (Oh that took a lot to say)  ;D
I would never do that using someone else's frames, but I don't think I would have too much trouble using my own stuff where I knew what I was dealing with.
Now, when the forum recovers from reading that I actually in some small way agreed with you...... :o
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: February 12, 2014, 09:50:22 am »
Perry, are you saying you "might" disagree with eating other's cow patties, but would not have any problem eating your own cow patties? That's what it sounds like.

Just asking....   :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #17 on: February 12, 2014, 09:54:33 am »
Alright Iddee, how much is Jack payin you?  :D
Forum Supporter

Offline Edward

« Reply #18 on: February 12, 2014, 10:04:35 am »
He probable should have soaked the frame i a soapy disinfection solution for a few Days and they used a pressure washer on them.

You kill nosema at 55oC for 24hr, AFB, burn the stuff.

Offline Edward

« Reply #19 on: February 12, 2014, 10:11:05 am »
When I roll hot wax on frames I start at the bottom and roll upwards.

Doing this creates a wave of hot wax in front of the roller the liquid wax gets into all the cells and covers the whole frame without any dry patches, making it easier for the bees to draw new cells  ;D