Author Topic: Waxing Plastic Foundation  (Read 31915 times)

Offline Edward

Re: Waxing Plastic Foundation
« Reply #40 on: February 13, 2014, 07:00:37 am »
No but he doesn't live too far away, It would bee interesting to take a look.

No extracting, new wax every year

Grinding everything through a mincer and letting it clear with the wax floating up top

No frames to build  ;D

An industriell crush and strain  ;)

mvh Edward  :P
"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best-" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were.

Offline tecumseh

« Reply #41 on: February 14, 2014, 06:38:26 am »
Edward..... we have a honey product here that is called REALLY REALLY RAW and it looks like the same process although none of the wax has even been filtered out.  you get chunks of wax and sometimes bee parts in a product that fetches a pretty fancy price. 

Offline Edward

« Reply #42 on: February 14, 2014, 06:51:12 am »
 :o thats nasty  :o

Bee parts :no:

"Well," said Pooh, "what I like best-" and then he had to stop and think. Because although Eating Honey was a very good thing to do, there was a moment just before you began to eat it which was better than when you were.

Offline Edward

« Reply #43 on: February 14, 2014, 06:57:48 am »
I can see the benefit in comb honey or unfiltered that has been left overnight so the air bubbles and large particles float up to the Surface and still has pollen .

I hate jars of honey with bee parts in them, small black bee leggs  >:( Drives me nuts, I can't sell them and I cant eat them all .

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #44 on: February 14, 2014, 10:02:46 am »
I'm with you Edward.. I dont mind eating clean wax, but bee parts... no..  If I cant SEE them i am fine. Kind of like eating a hotdog. So long as I dont have to see what went into them I love them!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2014, 10:52:42 am »
I felt like I was watching a tennis match here until SOMEONE posted a picture of a tractor.  SQUIRREL! :laugh: :hijack:

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2014, 11:21:25 am »
This is how i do it, it helps if the frames are warm ish I leave them out in the sunshine, friends have warmed them in a cupboard , it they are Cold they get too much wax on them.

Now for a serious question.  Would one be able to use an old crock pot to melt and hold the wax while rolling it onto the foundation?  I am thinking of an oval crock pot with or without the removable crock.  I don't think you would want to use the crock pot for anything else after that.  This task is one of my goals for this year's new frames.  I am just envisioning a big splattered mess of wax that I don't want to make.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #47 on: February 16, 2014, 12:29:32 pm »
I really don't see why not. They use them (Presto Pot) for melting beeswax for candles.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Crofter

• ex pressure welder/steamfitter; now a tinker
  • Location: N. Ontario, On the shore of North Channel of Lake Huron 46.00 N. Lat.
« Reply #48 on: February 16, 2014, 12:44:56 pm »
Go to a thrift store and you can pick up used crock pots for $5 or less.
Frank

Ray

« Reply #49 on: February 16, 2014, 01:06:21 pm »
Do any of you wash your new plastic before waxing?
Do any of you add extra wax (other than on the foundation) for the bees to reuse?

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #50 on: February 16, 2014, 08:29:59 pm »
Mine comes pre-waxed when new. Actually, I am not even sure anyone up here even carries unwaxed plastic foundation or frames?  ???
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #51 on: February 23, 2014, 10:26:39 am »
I am thinking out loud here and wonder if anyone agrees with me.  My plans for this spring include waxing new plastic foundation.  Even though the foundation comes with some wax already, it is reported to give the bees an incentive to build comb and a slight bit of help.  I don't think I have that much wax to render.  I just have last year's cappings.  Now here is my question.  If one were to go buy beeswax at a woodworking or hobby store or even another beekeeper off of Craigslist, how do you know it's not contaminated with foulbrood spores?  Some unscrupulous beekeeper may have rendered all the contaminated wax as a means of salvaging something instead of burning it all.  What do you think?  Does this thought have merit?

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #52 on: February 23, 2014, 11:36:41 am »
Bakers12, I think so, if i was going to paint good smelling  beeswax on stinky plastic foundation, i would want to know where it comes from? I would find a local beekeeper or someone on this forum, to buy from. I tried plastic foundation a few years back, but i couldn't put enough beeswax on it to kill the smell of the plastic, and some of my bees refused to draw it out in the supers. So i went back to beeswax and the bees and i are happy again. 8) Jack

Offline Marbees

« Reply #53 on: February 23, 2014, 11:37:44 am »
I would use only cappings from my yards for waxing foundation.
Bee Remarkable

Offline Slowmodem

• Gold Member
    • http://gregsbees.blogspot.com/
« Reply #54 on: February 23, 2014, 12:38:44 pm »
You could try spraying them with syrup (maybe with a little HBH mixed in).
Greg Whitehead
Ten Mile, TN
Beekeeping at 26.4 kbs

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #55 on: February 23, 2014, 02:24:17 pm »
You could try spraying them with syrup (maybe with a little HBH mixed in).

What is HBH?

Jack-Just face it...your bees are spoiled! :P

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #56 on: February 23, 2014, 04:00:01 pm »
Both Marbees and Slowmodem are correct.
Either your own wax or syrup with a bit of HBH (Honey Bee Healthy) misted on the wax coated plastic (emphasis for Jack).
Forum Supporter

Offline G3farms

• Bee Wrangler
  • Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #57 on: February 23, 2014, 04:05:44 pm »
Jack, it is finally coming out about all of the troubles with these milk jug frames and foundations  :laugh:
Bees are bees and do as they please!

.... --- -   -... . . ...   .-- .. .-.. .-..   .... .- ...- .   -.-- --- ..-   ... - . .--. .--. .. -. --.   .- -. -..   ..-. . - -.-. .... .. -. --.   .-.. .. -.- .   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .... . .- -..   .. ...   --- -.   ..-. .. .-. .   .- -. -..   -.-- --- ..- .-.   .- ... ...   .. ...   -.-. .- - -.-. .... .. -. --.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #58 on: February 23, 2014, 04:20:54 pm »
Jack, it is finally coming out about all of the troubles with these milk jug frames and foundations  :laugh:

$709.62 to fly to Knoxville (return). Either cab or rent a car to get to Concord. Maybe swing by MO and talk to Jack at the same time!  :D

By the way, any of you fellers been checking out the poll?  :laugh:
Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #59 on: February 23, 2014, 04:30:37 pm »
Well, you folks have me convinced. I'm going to go to all natural beekeeping. Styrofoam hives, plastic frames, plastic foundation, tea tree oil, wintergreen oil, maybe a little hemp oil. Add some processed sugar to it to be sure they have plenty to eat. Sprinkle some powdered sugar over them just like they do in a hollow tree. Then put holes in the top and bottom of the hive just like they do in a tree. Even open the bottom wide with no escape for them, but so smaller pests have good access. Then build a barricade between where the queen lays and the honey, so she can't get into the honey area. Yep, all natural, just like they live in the wild. That's for me.

Yep, only what the bees use NATURALLY in the wild. I'm converting right now.

G3, Jack, gonna join me?   ;D ;D ;D
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein