Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Any and Every Thing / Re: Off the grid
« Last post by Wandering Man on Today at 10:39:33 AM »
So now I'm wondering.

How well do solar panels do during hurricane force winds?  My TV antenna got blown over during Harvey, but not destroyed.  It would have been nice to have electric power and access to the news during the four days it took to restore power.

I now own a small generator, but haven't got it connected to the house.
« Last post by Bakersdozen on Today at 10:13:38 AM »
Several years ago we had a horrible ice storm. Trees breaking everywhere-all the power lines down. I'm sitting in my living room watching the morning news and they are reporting everyone in NW Arkansas and SW Mo are blacked out. I started feeling very smug and said to the TV, "Not Everyone!"

A moment later a tree branch gave out trashed my antenna.

Pride cometh before destruction! :laugh:

Nature can be very humbling.
General Beekeeping / Re: anyone in new jersey?
« Last post by rober on Today at 09:16:57 AM »
my wife does miss it.
General Beekeeping / Re: My limited experience so far
« Last post by rober on Today at 09:15:53 AM »
s.w mo............are you near Joplin?
« Last post by neillsayers on Today at 12:56:47 AM »
Several years ago we had a horrible ice storm. Trees breaking everywhere-all the power lines down. I'm sitting in my living room watching the morning news and they are reporting everyone in NW Arkansas and SW Mo are blacked out. I started feeling very smug and said to the TV, "Not Everyone!"

A moment later a tree branch gave out trashed my antenna.

Pride cometh before destruction! :laugh:
General Beekeeping / Re: My limited experience so far
« Last post by Noise Maker on Yesterday at 08:12:17 PM »
So two months have gone by with some night temps getting down below zero and the bees are still buzzing!! When the weather was warm enough for them to be out I made sure that the sugar water feeder was in place ready for them. Now that the weather is starting to warm up a bit they are able to get out and about more, and I think it will be time to start them on 1-1 sugar water as my last batch of 2-1 will be gone in a few days. It is tempting to open up the give to see what has been going on all winter, but will wait until a few more weeks I think until the temps get higher.

Much to my horror one morning on our way to the nearest little market, I noticed that the hive had been knocked over on one of the coldest nights we had. The short story is that one of the horses blankets got loose and she freaked and ran around the field. I could see where it was dragging on the ground and the trail went right past the hive. Luckily the lid stayed on the hive and I could hear them buzzing inside. A neighbor helped me pick it up and put it back on the cinder blocks. That was just before Christmas and they are still alive!! I think a new section of barbed wire will have to be installed come spring to keep the horses away from the hive.

Also am building more frames, and will be putting out two traps as soon as I get the frames built for them. Am about half finished with a second hive in order to be ready for another swarm or in case I need to split the hive I already have. If I learned anything in the past few months is to have the equipment ready before I need it.
« Last post by Lburou on Yesterday at 08:07:30 PM »
Post pictures so we can better understand your cabin setup...please.  :)
Any and Every Thing / Re: So.....
« Last post by LazyBkpr on Yesterday at 08:02:40 PM »
Eunice Wentworth Howell

What was Ginger's last name?

Vitas?

Took me two days but I finally got it. :laugh:

ROFL!!!!!!

I'm with you Neil! Mary Ann!
Any and Every Thing / Re: I'm BACK!
« Last post by LazyBkpr on Yesterday at 08:00:07 PM »
I wouldn't know about the facebook thing...  I signed up for it when my son went to Afghanistan so I could text back and forth with him, send pics etc...     Apparently, they didn't like that, and they kicked me off facebook. They wanted a photo of my license, my ssn, my address, and a bill with my name and address to prove to them I was a real person.....

Yep... NO! I am not sending anyone on the internet ANY of that stuff... I wrote them, I emailed them, I tried to call them... They NEVER replied to me one time.... I finally gave up.
      But.... My SON's CAT has a facebook page?   :yes:
« Last post by LazyBkpr on Yesterday at 07:55:02 PM »
I certan9inly didn't miss the electric bills...  It is a bit of a good feeling having that security. I'm not all that worried about the zombie apocalypse, but there are a plethora of other things that could go wrong. Losing reserve currency status for instance. Even just terrorism taking the grid down. Knowing you don't need it is a good feeling.
   Les Grid tie gives you a lot of freedom and you don't have to worry if you have a week of cloudy weather. Batteries, especially GOOD batteries are expensive. Hopefully, as the technology continues to improve, we will see better batteries or other storage solutions for less money!
   Scott
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10