Author Topic: Russians ~ Let's Talk  (Read 1486 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Russians ~ Let's Talk
« on: October 06, 2017, 03:25:59 pm »
The only thing I know about Russians is that they are assertive or aggressive bees, and they make a ton of honey.

Where do you buy Russians?

How much do they cost?

Are they a mite free bee?
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Dunkel

Re: Russians ~ Let's Talk
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2017, 03:47:31 pm »
I tried some once, I had five hives.  They were hybrids from Kelley's bees, I'm not sure where they came from I know at one time they selling from Rossmans. They cost close to the same as their Italians, maybe a dollar more.

I couldn't tell much difference in their temperament or aggressiveness. I wasn't as diligent with my treatments at the time.  My small sample didn't make as much honey, maybe a super if I was lucky.  They tended to swarm more than the others and I think the brood break lead to them dealing with the mites better.  Also lead to the lack of honey I'm sure.  I never had to feed for winter and they lived longer than the others.

They didn't fit my management style and I have two flows and one is very early and the bees have to be ready.  The Russians winter in a smaller cluster and I kinda missed out due to the lack of strength. They were good bees to have just not for me.  I may try them again or some carnies.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2017, 12:17:13 am »
russian bees.........anything anyone purchases now and for a number of years in the past outside of the RUSSIAN HONEY BEE ASSOCIATION are hybrids and mutts of.............kellys, rossmans, brushy mountain, etc...........if someone advertises russians other than a member of the RHBA, they are hybrids or mutts. not a bad thing but sorta false advertising.

i do purchase nucs and queens from a member of the RHBA; jen this is their website with some info and a list of members:

Russian Honeybee Breeders Association

they can be assertive/aggressive. they winter well and in smaller clusters. management techniques are a little different........they don't swarm any more than other bees and maybe less IF you manage them well.  good honey makers and require less treatment for mites.  there is no bee that is mite free jen, and russians are no silver bullet.  i don't experience the mite problems that most do here on the forum.

cost? i buy nucs and queens. will have to look what i paid for nucs about 4 years ago.
i think about $165 per nuc, maybe $150?  i don't remember. 

not sure why all this is in italic............but whatever!.............. :D
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2017, 01:07:14 am »
Hahha you make me laugh Riverbee. Thanks for that info.

I'm wondering if there are any other beekeepers, or hives I should say, near where you live? There must not be for your Russians to stay Russians ... ?

Now that we have a bee club, I'm finding that there are hives all over the place here in town and the surrounding area, and then all across our county. I had no idea.

Anyway, If I were to have a small apiary of Russians or Waynes, how many miles away from my mutt bees would they have to be in order to remain Russians?

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2017, 12:39:02 am »
well, i am glad i humor someone jen.............. :D

beekeepers near me.........i keep my bees in a very rural area of el paso township, wisconsin. when we purchased the place, there were no other beekeepers probably within a 15 to 20 mile or more radius of me.........just bears........... :D

about 8- 10 years ago, we had one neighbor about 5 miles from me start keeping bees. another neighbor followed. they bought honey from me for a number of years, and bought property near us, about 2-3 miles up the road and wanted to try keeping bees.  soon another neighbor did as well.  i helped/mentored all of these neighbors. what i noticed was the increase of a mite problem in my russian hives.

all three of these neighbors, one by one, gave up keeping bees. i am the only beekeeper  in this valley and surrounding area that has bees now. funny, my mite problem went down.

i requeen with russian queens when available, and that is usually late june, early july, or later.  for the most part, i utilize swarm cells in the spring to create nucs/divides from my russian hives. i also am one to let the bees requeen themselves early in the spring/summer months because RHBA russian queens are hard to come by. if it doesn't fly....lol... they are combined or a queen is ordered.  my mutt bees of these hives seem to survive well.  i have also captured some local swarms, not sure if these are my bees? those swarms have done well.

"If I were to have a small apiary of Russians or Waynes, how many miles away from my mutt bees would they have to be in order to remain Russians?"

isolated?............ :D

it's a crapshoot to keep bees all a certain breed of bee jen, you ask a very good question. there are so many variables, with proximity to other beekeepers, genetics, drone population, your practices etc. at some point you will wind up with some sort of mutt bees or mutt bees of what you started with. that's just my h/o. i do my best to keep some russian genetics in my hives (with requeening from the rhba) because this bee, and mutt bees of do well for me in my climate and environment. 

not sure i answered your question very well?  i wouldn't worry too much about trying to keep one breed of bee as desired as long as you pay attention to what is going on in the hive and requeen with a desired queen/and or take action as needed to take care of them.
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 02:19:59 am »
Ahhhhh! I see now how this works. So most hives are going to have some mutts. So what you strive for is the majority of the bees, give or take, will be Russians if you requeen as needed to keep it 'the majority'

Do Russians look different than bees born from the usual Italians, Carniolans that most of us have?

Offline yukonjeff

« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 01:59:12 pm »
I had Russian hybrids both summers of my two seasons of bee keeping.

They both shut down laying in mid summer when we get a two week dearth and they never built up again. Both were treated for mites. and never filled a deep all summer during a flow, and never made any honey.

I am sure I could of managed better, but I have other hives that are doing great with the same management style.
My last year Russian hive I overfed and they swarmed in about a month of being installed from the package. Then shut down and never built up again.

My Russians I have now are little more than a frame or two of bees (after all summer) My carni nuc started after the Russians, built up almost a deep. I don't expect they will make through winter, probably will be dead by Christmas.

My take on them is they are not for new beekeepers, or this far north. Because when they shut down, its game over with our short summers.

This was my last attempt at raising them, I am sure they could do great with a experienced bee keep with longer summers, but not for me ,and not here.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #7 on: October 10, 2017, 02:23:36 pm »
Hi Yuconjeff, I live in upper northern California. We have all four seasons here. I still need more education before I take on Russians. Appreciate your input  ;) 8)

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #8 on: October 10, 2017, 06:17:34 pm »
"The grass is always greener ......"

I have not had Russians. They are not offered in the UK. Quite a few bee types are offered including some from Europe. Imports of bees from outside the UK are discouraged. Because we have different climates in parts of the UK, a guide is to source bees locally.

I have heard reports that queens bought in from non-local sources, do perform as the seller promised  ... BUT. The but is that when mated with local drones the new queens are prone to heading aggressive colonies.
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: October 10, 2017, 09:44:16 pm »
I started with 2 packages of Russian hybrids in 2015. The first two seasons the mite counts never got up to treatment threshold. Last year I made a split with a purebred russian from Coy Bees in Mississippi. This spring, one of my colonies had a very high mite drop so I treated all of them with OAV, three treatments one week apart. Mite numbers have not come back up but it is very warm and all hives are still raising brood.
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: October 11, 2017, 10:35:07 pm »
I have Russian hybrids they tend to get quite conservative towards the end of the Fall which town in Florida is not necessarily a good thing because of the extended warm weather. They can be quite attitudie  when I was mowing the lawn on the lawn tractor I did sell without wearing my bee suit and I got quite the welcoming committee telling me it's time to leave they pursued the lawn tractor for about 50 yards and I got stung about 13 times I should never get arthritis all considered. The other thing about Russian bees they are prodigious propolis users they will glue everything tighter than Harry's hat band. I don't think any of the bees in North America haven't been hybridized the point where you don't know what strain of B you're actually getting only what they tell you the only way you know what breed you get is if the breeder artificially inseminate the Queen. Most are open breeders most flood the area with drones from their hive unless you know where the Drone congregation areas are and who else is going to be waiting there you really can't control anything.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #11 on: October 11, 2017, 11:35:59 pm »
"So what you strive for is the majority of the bees, give or take, will be Russians if you requeen as needed to keep it 'the majority'
Do Russians look different than bees born from the usual Italians, Carniolans that most of us have?"

jen, as i said, i try to requeen with russian queens from the rhba when i can get them.  i am certain that some of my hives are mutt bees and have been, but they are survivor bees of the progeny of what i started with. as long as they do well for me i don't mess with them.

russian bees tend to be darker in color similiar to carn's, but i have seen many variations in color because of the drones the queens mate with.

from jeff:
"I had Russian hybrids both summers of my two seasons of bee keeping.
They both shut down laying in mid summer when we get a two week dearth and they never built up again. Both were treated for mites. and never filled a deep all summer during a flow, and never made any honey.
I am sure I could of managed better, but I have other hives that are doing great with the same management style.
My last year Russian hive I overfed and they swarmed in about a month of being installed from the package. Then shut down and never built up again.
My Russians I have now are little more than a frame or two of bees (after all summer) My carni nuc started after the Russians, built up almost a deep. I don't expect they will make through winter, probably will be dead by Christmas.
My take on them is they are not for new beekeepers, or this far north. Because when they shut down, its game over with our short summers.
This was my last attempt at raising them, I am sure they could do great with a experienced bee keep with longer summers, but not for me ,and not here
."

jeff, great observations and probably good decision for you. the russian queens will shut down laying if BOTH natural pollen and nectar are not coming in, and any dearth. and at times i have seen drones being drug out during dearths here in wisconsin.  these queens totally shut down on laying. this is the part of managing them that most folks give up on. i have fed them, and i have supplied pollen supp, but given this, russians tend to not build up during a dearth with pollen sups and sugar feed on.  it just maintains them. they seem to thrive on natural pollen and not supplements, sugar feed, ok.

i did not think of your short summer, they may not be a good choice for you in your environment.  they are very conservative bees and with a good queen, and ample stores, survive here in wisconsin in the smallest cluster that still amazes me, but we do have a longer growing season.  btw, i don't treat them and haven't treated mine for mites unless i see a problem. i have one hive now been going strong for about 3 to 4 years treatment free. same queen?...........lol, i don't mark my queens, she could be, all i know is that hive is still as productive and temperamental at times as the day i hived them.  was she replaced? could be. but no slow down, frames always looked good, and no drop of population. . minimal mite problem and great honey maker.  we have had 2 or 3 good growing seasons here after a few years of drought or floods and rain.  struggled to keep my bees during those times, and lost some, but not this one. wintered on less stores (consumed less) than i have ever seen before in russians. 

good luck to you jeff, hope you find some breed of bee that works for you!

barry...........it is good to see ya back and thanks for your post!
Forum Sponsor

Offline barry42001

• Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: October 12, 2017, 01:17:52 am »
Quite welcome

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

"if a man is alone in the woods, and speaks and no woman is there to hear him. is he still wrong?