Author Topic: Wayne's Bees ~ Let's Talk  (Read 4134 times)

Offline Green bee

Re: Wayne's Bees ~ Let's Talk
« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2017, 09:18:03 am »
 Jen maybe l should have started a new thread for this but I thought it would go well with the subject at hand. I inspected my five hives yesterday and all was good with exceptions of one of the four Wayne’s hives. After opening this particular hive I noticed lots of honey and pollen and even a lot of bees and a small amount of capped brood. No eggs or larva. The bees temperament seemed normal and with exceptions of me not finding the queen, nothing looked out of place.
     So this left me with what I consider somewhat of a problem. This hive is a three deep nuc. So I considered combining this hive with another nuc but didn’t see the need as both hives are strong enough I feel to get through the winter by themselves. My other option was to give it a week or so and go back in and look again for her or eggs but with the season coming to an end and queens getting scares , I decided on my third option to purchase a new queen (not a Wayne’s because none are available) and bank her pending another inspection to look for her again. I really hate the thought of losing one of my Wayne’s queens but at least I caught before winter set in. A lot if different things could be responsible for her lose but it sucks because she was good one day and gone the next so to speak.so what would you guys have done in this situation? Did I do the right thing?
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2017, 02:01:46 pm »
Hi Gbee  :)  I have been learning to be very patient with queens. I would keep checking for queen cells before introducing your new queen. Would be sad to waste a Wayne's, or any queen for that matter, that still might be in the hive. Queens can be soo shy.... let me think here.... so if there aren't any eggs there might not be any queen cells...

Could be..maybe.. that she stopped laying for a bit. I do remember somewhere that the girls tell her when to lay, and when to slow down, or when to stop all together for awhile.

Is there any room for her to lay in this hive? Maybe that's why you're not finding eggs? a thought

I am still continually removing frames from the brood boxes of all my hives because the bees have overloaded the cells with nectar/honey, nectar bound hives, and I have yet to feed this year... I've had to keep replenishing the hives with new wax frames so she can continue to lay.

So, I talked my way thru this Gbee  :D I think I would recheck that hive and examine it very closely for eggs that were layed by a queen, on the bottom of the cells, and/or queen cups and cells for a week or two.

PS. This is why I like to mark my queens. I can find her right away.

There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Green bee

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2017, 02:47:02 pm »
   Talked to wally and he said the same thing Jen quote ( if you gonna keep bees you gonna have to learn to be patient) lol I know you both are right. My biggest problem here was over thinking the problem. My first instinct was to wait and I should have followed that. He also told me he would combine before he requeened this time of year. I guess I thought of the right things to do just chose the wrong thing to do. I guess we live and learn. Anyway I am gonna look again for the queen if she isn’t there I’ll combine the two nucs as wally suggested. Jen my queens are marked also. I mark my Wayne’s queens yellow.
Insanity: doing the same thing over and over again and expecting different results. Albert Einstein

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #23 on: October 07, 2017, 03:39:27 pm »
Oh that is funny! and I'm pleased. You're gonna get this bee thing Gbee, I Promise! I mean you're going to get to the point, after a handful of seasons, where you won't second guess yourself so much. But I have to admit, that in the spring, Every Spring! I forget stuff and I'm so glad that I have this forum. Because I often ask the same questions over every year  :D  :-[

Gbee "I guess I thought of the right things to do just chose the wrong thing to do."

Bees have a way of adjusting to all the things we as humans challenge them with. Every season I'm amazed at how they simply go about correcting all the scenario's that I thought were right, but there was maybe a better solution... and they just correct what you did and move on.

Such inspiration these little creatures are  :bee:

UPDATE: Hey Gbee, guess what? later this afternoon, I inspected one of my nucs. I didn't find a single egg. But I did find young larvae. so that means that the queen hasn't been laying for about 5 maybe more days. So I thought, like you, that queen may be gone. But by golly there she was in the bottom brood box doing just fine. FYI  ;) 8)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 12:56:55 am »
"Talked to wally and he said the same thing Jen quote ( if you gonna keep bees you gonna have to learn to be patient) "

............ :D  can't help it greenbee but so true, and i can hear him saying it! wally is right on!

" My biggest problem here was over thinking the problem. My first instinct was to wait and I should have followed that. He also told me he would combine before he requeened this time of year. I guess I thought of the right things to do just chose the wrong thing to do. I guess we live and learn. Anyway I am gonna look again for the queen if she isn’t there I’ll combine the two nucs as wally suggested."

we all overthink! and we learn by the experience of getting in there and doing, making decisions. whether right or wrong. it is how we learn and you have a great mentor to help you out!  keep us posted! thanks green bee!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Green bee

« Reply #25 on: October 10, 2017, 10:02:14 pm »
 For some reason I think over thinking problems is just human nature....If I could just make my wife understand that life would be much easier. :laugh:

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #26 on: October 10, 2017, 10:45:54 pm »
Green Bee, Do like i told my wife, I'm the King and this is my Castle :yes:. Jack

Offline Green bee

« Reply #27 on: October 10, 2017, 11:51:26 pm »
Green Bee, Do like i told my wife, I'm the King and this is my Castle :yes:. Jack
  I have to ask, how did that work out for ya? ;D

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #28 on: October 11, 2017, 02:34:57 pm »
Well i'm still Here :yes: Living on a farm i have a lot of outside chores to do with cattle, Bees, and repairs in the shop. So she's lucky i'm not in my castle that much. :no: Jack
The following users thanked this post: Green bee

Offline Green bee

« Reply #29 on: October 11, 2017, 02:48:04 pm »
 ;)
Well i'm still Here :yes: Living on a farm i have a lot of outside chores to do with cattle, Bees, and repairs in the shop. So she's lucky i'm not in my castle that much. :no: Jack
. In other words your the king as long as you do your chores!  :laugh: that sounds like me :yes:

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2017, 10:13:48 pm »
I’ve heard someone say if you think your king around here hand me that pan and I’ll crown you :laugh:

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2017, 10:26:29 pm »
 :D :laugh: :D

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #32 on: October 12, 2017, 11:45:32 am »
I’ve heard someone say if you think your king around here hand me that pan and I’ll crown you :laugh:
That would be my Sweet Wife's response. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #33 on: October 12, 2017, 01:41:56 pm »
Green bee, check to see if the Queen is home, if not :no:, your the King and can do what ever YOU think is right. :yes: Now was that so hard. :laugh: :laugh: Jack