Author Topic: First out-yard  (Read 3509 times)

Offline yes2matt

First out-yard
« on: April 14, 2018, 03:51:06 pm »
I'm a little excited, and hoping I'm not setting myself up for a royal pain in the neck. A bicycle shop on my delivery route, when I asked if I could put  a swarm trap on their roof, said "no but we'd like you to keep some bees in the back lot and we'll market the honey. "

Which is I think potentially a great deal.

Those of you with outyards, what are some tips and tricks? Especially in the start-up phase? What pitfalls to look out for?

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Re: First out-yard
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2018, 03:58:47 pm »
I'm looking forward to hearing the responses, since we now have an out-yard.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2018, 05:26:34 pm »
Get something in writing regarding ownership, etc., because if anything ever changes hands, this can create serious problems. I was contacted last year by a new property owner who assumed the hives on his new property were now his (so said his lawyer apparently). When I got a bit more info from him I realized that that many hives would have indeed not been abandoned and in fact would probably belong to someone. One phone call was all it took for me to discover they belonged to a member here on the forum, NovaScotiaBeeFarmer. The previous owner of the property had failed to inform NSBF that he had sold the property. Fortunately all ended well with the new owner arranging with NSBF that the hives could remain and he inherited the free honey arrangement typically used here for out yards.

"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2018, 06:42:21 pm »
If the outyard is not too far from you it's easier.  Further away takes more planning. We had an outyard about 30-45 minutes away and it seemed that no matter what equipment we brought we didn't need and what we didn't bring we needed.  Did a lot of back and forth before we decided we weren't intelligent enough to have an outyard that far away. :laugh:  Good advice from Perry that I hadn't thought of.

Perry, how much free honey for an outyard? Thanks, Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2018, 09:06:18 am »
The bigger folks that drop 20+ hives in a yard usually go with a 30 lb. pail.
I have numbers of hives per yard from 8-10-12. I usually try and do a kilo per hive, but many of my yard owners are now friends, and I like to customize the yard payments to some degree. Some use a lot of honey, some don't, and want smaller jars to gift as Christmas presents. Some want less honey and prefer some beeswax candles added to the mix.
I would go with a couple pounds of honey per colony and work from that point. (My opinion)
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: April 15, 2018, 09:35:42 am »
Thanks Perry! Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: April 15, 2018, 09:53:50 am »
Make a check list of things to take so you don't show up with out a smoker, hive tool, or another piece of equipment. Determine the reason for the upcoming visit and take the equipment that will be needed, and take extra. always take a few extra frames and nuc boxes to deal with swarm cells when you find them. You will find you will be carrying extra equipment back and forth but it is better than not having it when it is needed.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: April 15, 2018, 03:45:24 pm »
All good suggestions so far.  I would take notes so that when you get home you will know what tasks you will need to accomplish on your next trip.  Don't rely on memory no matter how young you are.  :D  This will speed up your trip too.  Example:  Hive A needs a queen excluder and super.
I mentally walk through what I am going to do.  I see in my mind the steps that I will take and then I know what equipment to take.
Good luck on the next phase of your beekeeping journey.

Offline moebees

« Reply #8 on: April 15, 2018, 04:44:56 pm »
All I have are out yards.  7 of them and growing and they are spread out over a huge area.  If I visited them all in one day it would be well over 100 miles traveling.  So I should be full of good advice right?  Actually I don't have much to say.  The main thing I will say is out yards change your management practices from the ideal, or what you would like to do, to what is the fastest.   So allot of practices that require you to do something one day and then come back the next just aren't something you are going to do.  Allot of compromises end up being made.
Bee-keeping is like raising Martians - Isabella Rossellini

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #9 on: April 15, 2018, 11:28:53 pm »
"Those of you with outyards, what are some tips and tricks? Especially in the start-up phase? What pitfalls to look out for?"
"no but we'd like you to keep some bees in the back lot and we'll market the honey. "

they don't want a swarm trap, but they "want some bees in the back lot" and 'they' will "market the honey".

i am hoping jack (brooksbeefarm) chimes in on this thread, jack has many outyards.....

my initial response; outyards; some things to consider;

location; good forage for the bees? nectar and pollen.
protection from weather? winds, sun, snow?
how far?
your attention to the hive/s placed in an outyard?
your time?
will the out yard receive some neglect because of the distance and/or you didn't show up with what was needed for the out yard?
pests; bears, cows, horses, other small critters. bears destroy hives. cows/horses, can knock hives over or cause problems; skunks, raccoons etc....?
a written agreement on the outyard, property kept on...... not some simple thing in writing, or a verbal agreement or a 'handshake'.

i keep bees on 80 acres. it's bear country.
BEARS, and bears require fencing. i have moved hives and nucs within a 10 mile radius of the 80 acres.  i do not care to provide the expense of a bear fence if someone asks me to place hives on their property. i rarely do.

marketing and selling honey....
in writing!
be smart about this, sell your honey for the price you want and don't settle for anything less. no trade, your price in cash. a gift of honey is alright for the opportunity. they sell your honey for your price, you receive the profit.  hope i made sense here?  been there done it.

i wish you well on your decision, you must decide if it is worth it or not!

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline yes2matt

« Reply #10 on: April 23, 2018, 03:52:29 pm »
Great stuff here,  especially about time and money and a written agreement.

I'm a delivery driver, the location is on my daily route, so I will see it every day and could do an inspection during lunch break. It is padlock-fenced-in urban. The forage looks to be fantastic for 8+ months. Also higher risk of pesticide exposure. It's about a half hour from my house.

Current agreement is to sell honey at the top of the market (almost $1/oz) and split the net 50-50, they design the brand/logo/label and provide signage. ... yeah I know it's not quite as much as I could get if I did all that myself, but it's still not a bad deal and I can sell self-branded for a premium elsewhere.

I'll try to hammer out a tentative agreement. Anybody got a sample to share, maybe I can borrow some language?

Thanks y'all so much.

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2018, 06:26:00 pm »
One possible problem could be urban location.
If a neighbour gets stung by anything, it will be "ONE OF YOUR BEES".
If someone has been stung by anything in the past, swelled, then the yard owner could get earache.
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: April 24, 2018, 12:38:32 pm »
Current agreement is to sell honey at the top of the market (almost $1/oz) and split the net 50-50, they design the brand/logo/label and provide signage. ... yeah I know it's not quite as much as I could get if I did all that myself, but it's still not a bad deal and I can sell self-branded for a premium elsewhere.

So you sell to them bulk, 5 Gallon buckets to be returned, and they bottle and pack or do they want you to bottle it for them in containers that you have bought and provided. Watch that you do not end up with all the expenses coming out of your 50% and their 50% is almost all profit to them.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #13 on: April 26, 2018, 05:37:39 pm »
Go For It (KING OF QUENNS)  :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:
Had to go there ;D seriously i hope it works out !

Offline yes2matt

« Reply #14 on: April 26, 2018, 05:50:22 pm »
Go For It (KING OF QUENNS) 
Had to go there ;D seriously i hope it works out !
Somebody beat me to "queen city bees"  .. I'm thinking "Apis Ami " (latin for bee-love) or "apis amici" : bee boyfriend. Ha!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2018, 05:51:55 pm by yes2matt »

Offline yes2matt

« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2018, 06:02:03 pm »
One possible problem could be urban location.
If a neighbour gets stung by anything, it will be "ONE OF YOUR BEES".
If someone has been stung by anything in the past, swelled, then the yard owner could get earache.
I'll have to talk the owner through that scenario.

Offline yes2matt

« Reply #16 on: June 07, 2018, 02:41:54 pm »
Update: so far so good. Except for:

> mosquitos! Holy camoly! Is there a bug spray I can use and wear shorts or do I need to stash some pants?

> smoker! So, supposing I had not brought my smoker along, could I go to the corner store and get some cigarettes? Other ideas?

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2018, 07:17:37 am »
 I worked for a contractor in Nawlins' who'd take me flying in small planes. the experience made me a believer in checklist. keep a small notebook with you & refine the checklist as time goes on & to keep notes about hives. you will NOT always remember what they need. I bought extra hive tools & just leave them on top of the hives at each yard. you can't forget or lose or misplace what's already there. like apis said I carry frames of comb this time of year so I can trade out swarm cells when I find them. carry some wet rags for clean up. I carry several t shirts to change into when I'm drenched in sweat from working in a bee suit. also-how many hives are you placing? you can hardly start a sustainable honey business with 3 or 4 hives.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2018, 12:18:50 pm »
...mosquitos! Holy camoly! Is there a bug spray I can use and wear shorts or do I need to stash some pants?

Treat your clothes with Permethrin
Lee_Burough

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2018, 06:26:17 pm »
No Smoker roll up a piece of corrugated cardboard, light one end then let it smolder blow air in the end and smoke comes out the other end. Who need a smoker?

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2018, 08:04:37 pm »
I saw a presentation on beekeeping in Vietnam.  The Vietnamese used several stick incense.  They blew on the burning ends to direct the smoke. 

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #21 on: June 18, 2018, 08:24:37 pm »
" mosquitos! Holy camoly! Is there a bug spray I can use and wear shorts or do I need to stash some pants?

> smoker! So, supposing I had not brought my smoker along, could I go to the corner store and get some cigarettes? Other ideas?"

deet.
if you are going to wear shorts, 3m's product ULTRATHON, cream or spray. if not take some light nylon pants with you to wear. might have to spray your ankles or apply the cream depending on your footwear and socks or lack there off. this stuff will keep the skeeters and everything else off. gnats, biting flies, ticks etc.

no smoker? get another one and keep it and your fuel and whatever you wear in/or extra in  your vehicle or wherever you remember to take it with you.

what's the boyscout/girlscout thing?  be prepared?............. :D

it's always a good idea to have an extra smoker or extra 'gear' in your vehicle to check out yards.

wait til a bear disseminates your hive or hives and you realize you have none of the following:
no smoker, no veil, and no coveralls.......... :D

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor