Author Topic: Grass cutting methods?  (Read 2714 times)

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
Grass cutting methods?
« on: May 04, 2018, 01:49:54 pm »
I'm considering the thought of making permanent wooden hive stands in yard
( 4×4 , 2×6 an 4×4) I'm hoping
to make a nuc yard, of as many nucs. that i can manage.  My Q is how do you set it up, as far as distance between to be able to mow grass? Does anyone have experience doing this? ( on half acre, do you start in the middle and work out to give you room, or start in the center and work out?

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
Re: Grass cutting methods?
« Reply #1 on: May 04, 2018, 01:55:36 pm »
Correction:
Start in middle and work out,  or start on outside an work inward?

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: May 04, 2018, 06:12:11 pm »
Hey Mikey!  I'd pace it off and sit down with a pencil and paper.  On our stands we left enough room between hives to place the boxes we remove during inspections so we wouldn't have to place them on the ground.  Each of our stands could hold 7 hives but we only have 4 hives per stand leaving the space as mentioned.  There is always those times when the extra space is needed 8) but we try to leave it.  Which brings up a good point: you mentioned keeping only nucs there, and i wish you well,  but keep in mind things tend to change according to needs :o  So, if it were me, the stand would be: nuc, empty space, nuc, empty space, nuc, empty space, nuc.....and on and on until you're out of room, wood or energy : :laugh:  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: May 04, 2018, 06:43:59 pm »
Thanks ted,
I was thinking,  maybe i could,  squeeze them together come winter?

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: May 04, 2018, 08:04:29 pm »
Sure.  That's what we've done in the past.  Although we did have a 5 over 5 nuc, by itself, make it through this past winter.  The winter was brutally cold, -50F with wind chill, so im thinking adout trying a few stand alone 5 over 5 nucs this next winter.  Ted
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: May 04, 2018, 09:00:14 pm »
Thanks Ted.
So you don't think bunching them together works ?

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: May 05, 2018, 08:01:22 am »
Oh no, that's not what I meant.  Sliding them together for the winter, wrapping them with tar paper and placing insulation on top along with a sugar cake does work but requires migratory outter covers.  I'm going to TRY over wintering some stand alone nucs this winter.  We'll see how that works but for your purpose I'd slide them together to reduce the area exposed to the elements and the extra warmth created by the shared wall.  Sorry for any confusion.  Ted
The following users thanked this post: Mikey N.C.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: May 05, 2018, 09:43:19 am »
Mikey, forgive my ignorance, but looking on a map I believe that you are at a lower latitude than me in the Kansas City area. Do your winters get that cold where you would need to wrap your hives?  Wrapping hives in milder climates can have an adverse effect.
I just provide a windbreak to overwinter my colonies.
I commend you for putting a lot of thought and planning into your hive stands.  When your done there can you build some for me?   :laugh:  I still use cement bricks.
If I were building hive stands that would need to be mowed under, I would approach from the back of the hive stand as much as possible.  A push mower or weed eater operated from the back would prevent stings.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: May 05, 2018, 12:40:05 pm »
At first i was thinking about 12 ft. long stands. I'm now thinking of using heavy oak pallets with 4 nucs on each
(On the ground) and see how it works the first year.
B13,  we don't have real cold winters. I was under the assumption that you had to bunch 5 frame nucs. for winter.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: May 05, 2018, 02:44:03 pm »
I too would pace it off.  One thing I have seen that I will be implementing soon, is putting down some old carpet (carpet side down) under the stand areas.  This works well to curb any plant growth around your hives, negating the need to mow close to the hives.  It works wonders for putting under fencing line as well!.
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #10 on: May 05, 2018, 03:17:45 pm »
Zwe,
In my avatar pic. 3 hives on left have carpet under them .
Works great, i have considered that option.  I would do that under pallets.  Only problem i think i could have is ants under edges of carpet.  We have all kinds of ants.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: May 05, 2018, 06:06:43 pm »
Good call Bakers! 

Mikey, those things, the sliding together, wrapping, insulation work in MY area but may not be necessary, or could be detrimental in YOUR area.  You might see what other keeps near you do to over winter nucs.  Ted

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #12 on: May 05, 2018, 06:56:16 pm »

B13,  we don't have real cold winters. I was under the assumption that you had to bunch 5 frame nucs. for winter.
Mikey, I overwintered a swarm in a 5 frame nuc last winter.  It was a small swarm and moved in in August or September so they didn't build up much at all.  All I used was wind protection, solid bottom board, entrance reducer, and kept to one 5 frame box so there would be less space to heat.  Last winter was one of the coldest we have had in a while.  Everyone says not to bother with a swarm after June, but this worked for me.  Yes, I did have to feed, feed, feed. I really wanted the queen in case I needed an emergency queen.