Author Topic: Feeding from a Dead out - Am I crazy or is this possible?  (Read 1756 times)

Offline 40 Acre Bees

Feeding from a Dead out - Am I crazy or is this possible?
« on: April 09, 2017, 11:12:37 am »
I just took a quick look at the one hive that we lost this winter.  There is a lot of stores in there (at least 10 frames between top and bottom box) .  If remove the reducer, is it possible that the other hives will rob this one to keep themselves going till spring finally arrives.  The days are starting to warm up and they are starting to fly, but I don't feel it is warm enough yet that I want to open up the inner cover to check their stores.  I was hoping they would get the feed they need from the dead out.  Am I crazy for thinking this may work or should I close it up tight  for now and take the honey off when I get a chance to save for later?  Thanks in advance.........

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Feeding from a Dead out - Am I crazy or is this possible?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2017, 03:43:20 pm »
There may be more than just your bees eating the honey. Make sure you know there was not a disease problem in the hive that died. It is really not good practice to let dead-outs get robbed out, but I have had it happen a few times. Better to just take out the frames and put them in the individual hives that need it.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline 40 Acre Bees

« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2017, 05:53:46 pm »
Thanks for the input, second question:  I removed 10 really nice frames of honey eight from the upper box and two from the lower.  This was a brand new hive last year.   all the comb is still real clean and the honey looks great.  Can I extract these combs and use the honey for ourselves to eat.  I would assume we can but I just wanted to check because I did treat with MAQS early last fall between the two brood boxes.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2017, 07:38:12 pm »
You should probably send me those frames and I'll send half of them back after I've sampled! :) :)
You're good to go, enjoy the fruits of their labour.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2017, 10:33:50 pm »
"I just took a quick look at the one hive that we lost this winter.  There is a lot of stores in there (at least 10 frames between top and bottom box) .  If remove the reducer, is it possible that the other hives will rob this one to keep themselves going till spring finally arrives.  The days are starting to warm up and they are starting to fly, but I don't feel it is warm enough yet that I want to open up the inner cover to check their stores.  I was hoping they would get the feed they need from the dead out."

leaving a deadout open just invites unwanted pests and it is not good practice to let the bees rob out, as perry mentioned. you can utilize these frames either by placing them in hives (as perry said) or if temps not warm enough to messing with swapping frames out......... place them over the inner covers of other hives that may need feed, and cover with an extra box.  the bees will utilize the honey.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline 40 Acre Bees

« Reply #5 on: April 10, 2017, 05:50:37 am »
I have taken off the frames I want to save and the remaining frames I will feed back by putting and extra deep on above the inner cover when the weather warms up just a little bit more.  Thanks for the input :yes:.