Author Topic: Tulip poplar honey ?  (Read 3974 times)

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
Tulip poplar honey ?
« on: December 25, 2017, 04:13:53 pm »
The jar on the right was spun in sept. Jar on left was same hive the dark frames i left for bees for overwintering.  Hive deadout , so crushed and strained 3 frames , it's very dark an red hue. These frame's were in bottom brood chamber on the out side.
It's the darkest I've seen.
Any information is appreciated.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Tulip poplar honey ?
« Reply #1 on: December 25, 2017, 07:47:48 pm »
I have no idea living on the other side of the continental divide. But your post brings up a valid point about honey and it quality for the bees to over winter on it. In the Canadian prairies Canola honey is not a good honey to leave for the bees to winter on. Also stored honeys that are from a source of honeydew is also not a good food for the bees to winter on and it is generally darker in color than floral honeys. Other than sending it away for testing, some times you can determine if it is honeydew by observing the way it piled when flowing into the honey.It just looks different when it flows into the honey surface.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.
The following users thanked this post: Mikey N.C.

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #2 on: December 25, 2017, 07:56:24 pm »
Mikey, I didn’t think anything of it because our last honey was dark and very good flavor. Not to say light honey is less flavorful just seems the dark is full bodied.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: December 26, 2017, 04:00:41 am »
The honey could be darker for several reasons.  Was the brood comb darker than fresh comb?  I think that can make a difference in color.  The fall blooming goldenrod, buckwheat, and asters will make a darker colored honey.  It will be interesting to see how quickly it crystallizes.  That could be an indicator of the nectar source.  The big question is, does it taste good?

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 26, 2017, 04:14:40 am »
Sorry, it's early and I hit post by mistake.  The tulip poplar will produce a darker honey and is probably a major nectar source in your area.  Tulip poplar is supposed to produce a darker amber colored honey but is still mild to the taste.  At least that is what I read.  That's why I asked how it tasted. The tulip poplar is planted in residential areas, but they don't grow wild here and I don't think I have any in my immediate area.   

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2018, 07:44:30 pm »
don't know what it is mikey...........beautiful honey!
have had really dark or darker honey with different color hues, sometimes a guess for me (mostly goldenrod up here).....we planted buckwheat one year.........some say this is lighter honey.........
i disagree.....was a little darker, and a different taste but i loved it! and so did customers.
sometimes we will never know what specifically the honey might be from with blooms, we can guess or 'guestimate' or have it tested.
most of my darker or colored hued honeys come primarily  from late summer/early fall blooms.
thx for the pix!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2018, 09:29:38 pm »
Our early honey is lighter and the later honey is very dark.  Like this:

Lee_Burough

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: February 25, 2018, 10:54:56 pm »
lee, neat photos! love the pix of the jars and your labels.

question, from left to right, what are these (some i get)? quart, pint, then the glass honey bear (what size is this?, i have seen these), short fat pint or half pint next? and the 4oz muth jar?

these labels are attractive, the black with the gold and also i like the granulation label and what it 'states' on the back. are these your own labels?
what is the label on the top of the glass honey bear?

thanks!

sorry mikey, not trying to sidetrack your thread!

when i get a chance i will post a pic of a darker honey i believe to be buckwheat (we set these supers aside and marked boxes when the bees were working the buckwheat) vs early and mid summer mix.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 11:37:59 pm »
RB, from left to right, 1.5 pint, 1 pint, 12 oz., .5 pint and 4 oz jars.  Those are labels I had made via a beekeeper in Minnesota, (she isn't taking new customers now).  I had some round labels with  "Lee's Bees" & an address and phone number on them made by a supplier like BetterBee.  This past year, I only sold pints, (not much honey this year).

Mikey, last year's honey was noticeably darker than the darkest in the picture above.  You can buy the dish rag and red solo cup anywhere  ;)   HTH   :)
Lee_Burough