Author Topic: Special smoker fuel  (Read 4271 times)

Offline Newbee

Re: Special smoker fuel
« Reply #20 on: July 07, 2020, 08:51:05 am »
Yes officer, it's for the bee's, not me! You see....

I'll have to remember that one! LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

I tend to grab whatever's laying around near the hive... twigs, grass clippings, etc. Have to be careful as there is a Magnolia nearby and I've heard the leaves can be poisonous. I get boxes of wood shavings from a local beek who makes hives, and have found a few heads of cotton work great as a starter/tinder (I grew some red leaved cotton a couple years ago and... never did anything with it but dried it and stuck it in a box). Pop in a couple of those, a handful of branches, and dried grass, fist-full of wood, good to go!

- K

Offline MudSongs

• Backyard beekeeper in Newfoundland since 2010.
    • Beekeeping in Newfoundland
« Reply #21 on: July 17, 2020, 07:55:35 am »
I usually use wood chips, but I use moose poop when I can find it.  A slow cool burn.

https://mudsongs.org/mystery-2/

Most of the time I use a fine mist of slightly sweetened water.  Not that it's better or worse than smoke; it's just easier for me to use.  I don't have to light it.  I've used various essential oils in the mist as well and it seems that lemongrass oil has the most calming effect.  Or maybe it has the most calming effect on me.
- Phillip Cairns
Isle of Newfoundland
47°42'34.2"N 52°42'49.9"W

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: July 17, 2020, 10:31:47 am »
Yes officer, it's for the bee's, not me! You see....

I'll have to remember that one! LOLOLOLOLOLOL!

That line of defense would never work in Kansas! Boom!  Charged with intent to distribute narcotics! or something similar.  "Kansas is for ultra conservatives" should be our state motto.

Offline Newbee

« Reply #23 on: July 18, 2020, 04:57:28 pm »
Most of the time I use a fine mist of slightly sweetened water.  Not that it's better or worse than smoke; it's just easier for me to use.  I don't have to light it.  I've used various essential oils in the mist as well and it seems that lemongrass oil has the most calming effect.  Or maybe it has the most calming effect on me.

Interesting. I tried the sugar-water misting a couple times, but smoking these hives seems to work better. You're right though, wonder if it's better for them, or for me? LOL!
Thanks for the tip about Lemongrass oil, might have to give that a try.

- K