Author Topic: Asian Hornet Nest Discovererd in GA  (Read 2225 times)

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Asian Hornet Nest Discovererd in GA
« on: September 13, 2023, 05:46:20 pm »
https://www.fox5atlanta.com/news/invasive-hornet-species-nest-found-savannah-georgia

Note that this species is Vespa velutina the Asian yellow-legged hornet, NOT Vespa mandarina the Asian giant hornet AKA the murder hornet.  Still very bad news for European honey bees though.  Hopefully they were able to eradicate all of the hornets.
I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.

Offline The15thMember

• Traveler of the Multiverse, Seeker of Knowledge
Re: Asian Hornet Nest Discovererd in GA
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2023, 09:36:50 pm »
Just wanted to put this here for reference.  The European hornet, which has been in the US since 1840, is very similar looking to the Asian yellow-legged hornet.  European hornets will come and catch flying bees out in front of colonies, but they don't exhibit the "hawking" behavior of the Asian hornet, which can be so destructive to European bee colonies. 

Note the drippy pattern on the European hornet, which is absent on the Asian hornet.

I come from under the hill, and under the hills and over the hills my paths led.  And through the air, I am she that walks unseen.
The following users thanked this post: Bakersdozen, Gypsi