Author Topic: Community Event Hot Day  (Read 1823 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Community Event Hot Day
« on: October 01, 2023, 11:41:31 am »
Yesterday was a community pollinator event, Hasta Luego Monarchs.  Many different groups were there to talk about various pollinators.  There were games, face painting, and Monarch Watch was there to tag Monarch butterfles. I was there representing Honey bees.  The tent next to me were students from the University of Kansas Natural History Museum. I went over to look at their collections of insects.  I took a picture of one of the students, a senior.  Unfortunately, it was so hot that community turn out was low, very low. 

I didn't take the observation hive because of the heat.  My observation hive would have been hard for the bees to regulate the heat.  I did have another group ask me for some dead bees they could mount for their educational purposes.  I might have had a whole frame of dead bees for them had I brought them with me. 

I did do an easy eye catcher that got adults to stop and talk.  I had two beautiful potted examples of a fall blooming chrysanthemum and a beautiful New England Aster.  In the aster I put a note card that said, "Plant This".  In the Mum I put a note card that said, "Not This!"  I identified each in smaller print on the cards.  That got adults to stop and ask why.  That started a conversation.  I felt that worked well and was a way to promote fall blooming nectar and pollen sources!  I don't know how many people said, "I never knew!"