Author Topic: 1st ever swarm caught!  (Read 10739 times)

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: 1st ever swarm caught!
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2014, 02:03:34 pm »
keep in mind with the queen excluder, that virgin queens, can and do slip through these.....
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2014, 02:35:45 pm »
When a swarm clusters, they send out scouts to find a new home. Sometimes they send them out before leaving the hive. When you put them in a box, the scouts may come and tell them they have a better place. If so, they are gone. If you keep the queen confined for 3 days, they usually forget the new home and stay in your box. If the scouts haven't found a place they like better, or you move them far enough that the scouts can't find them, then they usually stay.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2014, 03:21:20 pm »
Judelt, you have just experienced one of the nicest aspects of beekeeping.  Your concern about them staying with you is justified---if  you get them to develop into a strong family and produce honey for you, it will never be forgotten.
I like to give my freshly captured swarms a nicely built new frame.  They'll add to it quickly and once they have built there, they should be hooked to their new home.  Built comb also gives the queen (assuming she's mated) a place to start laying right away, and with eggs in the cells the swarm won't leave, whether you've fed them or not.

Offline vossejongk

« Reply #23 on: April 08, 2014, 03:53:46 pm »
@River oh right, the lady has to get fat first before that works lol. Back to the drawing board :)

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Samsung Note 3 met Tapatalk.

Offline JUDELT

« Reply #24 on: April 08, 2014, 04:06:03 pm »
thanks for all the good info, again. today was cloudy and windy most of the day, so did no get into the mother hive, yet. My hives were busy this afternoon; I think the mother hive is getting ready to swarm again! I'll have to keep an eye out. I should be able to get in them tomorrow!

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #25 on: April 08, 2014, 05:27:45 pm »
During my in the field lessons there actually was a swarm and I was the lucky one to get it. In the evening I thought it would help to give them sugarwater so I went back and gave them 2L of 1:1.  2 Days later I went to check if they settled in and the hive was completely empty of bees, only the frames and foundation were left and untouched.  My teacher said it was because I fed them too fast. No idea why that caused them to leave..

Verstuurd vanaf mijn Samsung Note 3 met Tapatalk.

You might consider keeping them closed up in the box for a couple of days to become acquainted with their new home.  Or I've heard of people putting a queen excluder under the box so that the workers can come and go, but the queen will stay, and this keeps the hive from absconding.  I haven't tried either one, so these are only suggestions.

A frame of brood from another hive will usually anchor them very nicely if theres one available.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #26 on: April 08, 2014, 06:12:51 pm »
To Date: a frame of brood in both of my swarm hives 'seems' to be doing the trick. I'm not counting my chickens tho for a while yet.
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline JUDELT

« Reply #27 on: April 09, 2014, 10:13:14 pm »
I checked or opened this hive to add some brood and they have begun to build comb in the empty frames and on the ones with a strip of comb across the top! cool!

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #28 on: April 09, 2014, 10:38:31 pm »
Hey Jude! Far Out  :D

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #29 on: April 09, 2014, 10:45:35 pm »
Hey Jude! Far Out  :D

Yes, I do remember...
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2014, 10:53:46 pm »
'Take a sad sooong and make it betterer.... remember to let her into your heart, and you can start.. to make it better, better, better, better, better, better... Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh ~

Awe you just made my evening, thanks my friend! and a Good Evening To You Jude  ;) 8)