Author Topic: Worthwhile to wash jars straight from the factory?  (Read 1978 times)

omnimirage

Worthwhile to wash jars straight from the factory?
« on: December 14, 2017, 11:19:34 pm »
I'm buying my plastic and glass containers in bulk from a warehouse distributing company. I asked them whether I should wash the jars before storing honey in them, and they recommended for me to give them a rinse with warm water in case bits of plastic residue or whatever mistakenly founded their way in the jar.

It's no problem to rinse them, but drying them is a pain as it's imperative to remove all the moisture, otherwise the honey might ferment. I got a couple hundred jars of honey that I need to fill with honey. I figure wiping with a towel isn't sufficient in removing all the water, so I've been drip drying them. I can't just place them flat down, as the moisture then can't escape. Nor can I just leave them in the sun faced up as dust or whatever might drop into them. I've had to do creative things for such, lately I've been placing chop sticks underneath the jars, and placing them face down so that water can drip onto a paper towel underneath. With the amount of jars that I need to wash this time around, I literally cannot fit them all in my kitchen, and my house mates were annoyed enough as is with me taking up all the space for a day or two to let them drip dry. I'm guessing I'm going to have to let them dry outside and work out a way that bugs or dust or whatever doesn't wind up in them, maybe I could lay down cotton towels, with the paper towels and chop sticks on top.

It's just a pain to do and I'm left wondering if it's even needed. I figure the factory would of course recommend such in order to avoid me blaming them that there was something left over in the jar. Is it worth washing them with warm water? Is there a better way of drying hundreds of jars?

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Worthwhile to wash jars straight from the factory?
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2017, 05:49:30 am »
I have to admit that I don't wash inexpensive plastic bottles any more.  Those won't hold up in a dishwasher.  It is very tedious.  I do wash glass bottles. Who knows what type of environment the bottles are manufactured in.  Do you have an automatic dishwasher?  That should have a dry setting on it.  You may have to follow up with a towel to remove water spots.
Another thought is an electric hair dryer.

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2017, 11:36:56 am »
Baker the hair dryer is a great idea!

omnimirage

« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2017, 04:18:14 pm »
I don't have a dishwasher. Wouldn't a hair-dryer melt the plastic? I thought hair-dryers could only be used for short periods of time?

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2017, 05:25:52 pm »
Do you have an air compressor as the Jars Glass or plastic are hot and molten when manufactured and boxed soon after they are clean and sterilized enough for honey storage. They do have a static charge so foreign object do like to stick to them. but a blast of air will dislodge them and blow them out of the jar.
A few drops of water will not ferment your honey it will be absorbed into the honey readily and the moisture content will equalize. If you did have to use water to remove clinging debris a blast of air when the jar is inverted will expel most the water.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

omnimirage

« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2017, 04:50:55 pm »
I don't have an air compressor but that is a good idea. Good to know just a few drops of honey won't be so bad.