Author Topic: Honey warming cabinet.  (Read 1946 times)

Offline BatonRelay

• https://worldwidebeekeeping.com/
Honey warming cabinet.
« on: October 20, 2023, 11:51:21 pm »
Hi all, in my area I have nectar sources that are glucose rich which causes the honey to crystallise as soon as the temperatures drop. I don?t treat or filter the honey at all which doesn?t help. Personally I have no issue with eating this honey however and impress on the customers that it?s a natural process and doesn?t affect the honey, I would rather move the honey in a liquid state as it?s more presentable and somewhat easier to pour into jars, so I have thrown together a warming cabinet using materials from what I have on hand. (Free)
I?d like some clarification on a few things as it can get a bit grey when researching so am throwing some questions to those in the know. :grin:
Temperatures. What is the safe temperature to decrystallise honey and once decrystallised what is the minimum temperature to maintain the honey in the liquid state? Keeping in mind I have different sized containers in the same cabinet ranging from 20 kgs to 300 gms so they will change state at different rates. I have some tamper proof tubs which I cannot open to stir. I am also planning to put honey frames in so prefer not to melt the wax...
Heating. Currently I?ve a light globe set up but am also wondering if the light from the light will affect the honey.
It does seem that the honey I have experimented with so far seems to have changed to a darker colour at 40?C.
Thanks in advance.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: Honey warming cabinet.
« Reply #1 on: October 21, 2023, 05:46:15 am »
Temp. 38 C. to 43 C. Heat. hot plate and thermostat. Storage. 20C. or above. All numbers are approximate.
Welcome to WWB. Which Johnstown? What country?
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein