Author Topic: gone . . .  (Read 3212 times)

Offline ablanton

• Blanton Apiaries
gone . . .
« on: August 04, 2014, 10:42:12 pm »
Well, I had my first experience with one of those "vanishing" colonies today.  I'm not going to call it CCD because I haven't opened this hive in several weeks and don't know what happened or when it happened.  All I know is that I went to check it out today and knew something was wrong before I even got to it.  The two beside it were quite active.  This one was dead quiet.  I popped the top and the top box was empty.  No brood, honey, bees, nothing.  Pulled that box off and the next two were the same, other than a few robber bees and a wax moth.  These combs were COMPLETELY empty, other than a little bit of pollen.  No dead brood or anything.  No dead bees on the bottom board or the ground around the hive.  I have no idea what happened.  Luckily, I got to it before the wax moths had time to do any damage.  I threw all of the combs in the freezer. 

This was a 2013 queen.  All that I can figure is that she croaked, they failed to make another, and the remaining bees left.  Maybe they went into one of the other hives.
Andy

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: gone . . .
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2014, 10:53:26 pm »
When was the last time you did an inspection and looked for signs of a queen present? Eggs larva and capped brood, to deturman that it was worker brood not brood from possibly a laying worker?
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2014, 10:59:22 pm »
Could be other things, but sounds like another case of starvation in late July and Aug. It happens a lot in this area. We have ZERO summer flow.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline ablanton

• Blanton Apiaries
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2014, 11:01:36 pm »
To be honest, the last time that I opened that particular hive was when I pulled honey in late June or early July.  I didn't take notes because I was just pulling honey rather than inspecting; but, I do recall taking a quick peek to make sure there was open brood.  I did not look for eggs or a queen because I had a full day ahead pulling & extracting.
Andy

Offline ablanton

• Blanton Apiaries
« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2014, 11:06:28 pm »
I don't think it was starvation, Iddee.  I did not pull 100% of the honey.  I left plenty for the bees.  I was actually surprised at how much honey is still in the other three that I checked today.  I expected them to be getting low on stores by this time, also.  I bought 300 lbs of sugar last month in preparation for the dearth.   Across 25 hives, I have only used 50 lbs of it and all of that has been on 8 summer splits.
Andy

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2014, 11:35:35 pm »
Bummer Ab! I hope you can find an answer to this  :sad:
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #6 on: August 05, 2014, 12:07:15 am »
Well if that don't beat all! It never occured to me that bees wouldn't have any food over the summer!
There Is Peace In The Queendom