Author Topic: This hive is busting at the seams  (Read 3198 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
This hive is busting at the seams
« on: March 09, 2021, 09:49:30 am »
Last spring I caught a very, very large swarm.  They remained strong all summer, went into winter packed with bees and food.  They were so heavy I couldn't lift the brood boxes to see how much food stores they had. (Great feeling knowing they were really heavy going into winter)  Yesterday I decided to tackle this hive and see where the brood was, reverse hive bodies if possible, and most importantly move them to a sturdier hive stand.  The queen had laid eggs in the top brood box and there was brood in the second.  No reversing.  I did get them moved to a sturdier hive stand about 1 foot away.  Didn't see any drone cells yet, but this is a hive that will swarm the first chance it gets. I put a 3rd brood box on top that had all drawn comb and some honey stored.  Lots of room for them to spread their wings and the queen to lay.  I can probably get 3 maybe 4 splits out of this hive.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
Re: This hive is busting at the seams
« Reply #1 on: March 09, 2021, 09:51:44 am »
That is awesome!  Do you have room for the splits, or do you plan to sell / give away?

My bees are just starting to take cleansing flights here... hope to be able to get in them in about three weeks or so.

Good luck bakers!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2021, 10:29:23 am »
I guess I have room for splits but probably should sell them.  :laugh:  This week I read the city's new ordinance on beekeeping and I am not in compliance.  Not even close.  I think as long as no one complains I won't hear from the city.
Some beekeepers in the vicinity are starting to see drone brood.  I haven't seen any yet.  It won't be long now.

Offline Zweefer

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2021, 11:54:17 pm »
If I may ask, what is the permitting fees where you are at? Our association is battling our city to lower the fees. It is cheaper to keep dogs, cats, and even chickens than it is for bees at the moment!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
Keeping of bees is like the direction of sunbeams.
Henry David Thoreau

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2021, 09:20:19 am »
Zweefer, collecting information from other cities and states is a good place to start.  Government agencies like to follow precedence.

We are an open state and there are no fees for anything.  You can move bees in and move bees out without concern.  We don't have a state apiary inspector.  Perhaps that is why our state beekeeping association struggles with member numbers.

The city charges a $10 licensing fee per dog.  I can't speak for chickens and cats.  Chickens are allowed.  But the dog couldn't co-exist with either of those two. There are no fees for keeping bee colonies.

A board member of our local bee club was asked for education and recommendations from the county appraisers office.  We formed a committee to help the appraisers by making recommendations on what constitutes classifying beekeeping as agricultural use.  There is 1 appraiser, for the whole county, that works in the field.  They base their ag vs residential classifications on aerial photos. If there is a dispute from the landowner, the appraisers office didn't have any educated arguments to back up their decisions. If we had a state apiary inspector they wouldn't have come to us for answers.