Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Products Of The Hive / Re: anyone tried one of these?
« Last post by riverbee on Today at 02:56:57 PM »
rober,
did you purchase one of those units?

this is what i purchased, i am happy with it:
My New Wax Melter!!!
Computer Help / Re: Unable to post here via Tapatalk
« Last post by yes2matt on Today at 02:53:01 PM »

Have to post via web browser as this is what I still get....
What version are you using yes2matt?
May be the difference between apple and Samsung as well...
4.1 I think.

Sent from my SM-J327P using Tapatalk

Beekeeping 101 / Re: Best way to print labels
« Last post by riverbee on Today at 02:33:36 PM »
i use a bucket heater on my crystallized buckets.

omni i do make my own labels. i have a relatively newer hp printer, and the colors are really good. (not laser). avery templates for word do work well, and there all sorts of sizes available now to print on.

i learned how to make my own templates using word to suit my needs because i have different jar sizes. i also use a heavier weight paper. my labels are hang tags, tied around the neck of the jar and not pasted on.

also you can preserve ink jet or laser labels to keep them from smearing, or make them pretty moisture resistant.  i use a spray fixative, i think it's acrylic, used by artists.  the brand i use is made by KRYLON, it's a matte finish, and does not yellow or discolor paper.  spray your sheet or labels, dries quickly, and sometimes i will give a 2nd spray. my comb honey labels get the 2nd spray, because these labels go on the carton of comb and get zip locked and thrown in the freezer.  with this spray on the label, moisture does not ruin it.

customers do like labels, and in wisconsin i am required to label my honey. 

the hang tag labels are nice because i can label at any time and if i pour a bunch of jars, and some crystallize, i am not ruining or not fighting to get a label off a jar to get it liquid again. btw, another trick to getting goey labels off plastic/glass..........buy a bottle of avon skin so soft. take a cotton ball smeared with this stuff and it will remove any and all sticky residue.

also keeps skeeters off me....... ;D
Any and Every Thing / Re: Off the grid
« Last post by Jen on Today at 01:36:06 PM »
Who can beat The Who for miles and miles  ;) 8)

Beekeeping 101 / Re: Treatment bees or Treatment free ?
« Last post by Lburou on Today at 12:25:44 PM »
Thanks Chip, I appreciate your response.  I just hark back to prophylactic use of antibiotics of the past and the caution about continual exposure to a substance building resistance in the target organism. 

Jamie Ellis urges us to use antibiotics that are only in the hive a few days to limit exposure to the antibiotics in the hope this will extend effectiveness of the antibiotic against AFB, etc..  Now, this shop towel OA method leaves OA in the hive for months.  It is a mixed message...I bought in to the brief exposure of organic acaricides and feel caution is warranted.  Mites may never gain tolerance to OA or Formic, but we should be smart when we change over to the shop towel method. Am I too simplistic here Chip?

Mikey, the 5 over 5 method is a good way to do it.  Michael Palmer does it and shows it in several videos and talks.  He uses a special made resource hive to overwinter 5 over 5 colonies.  Here is one of those videos:

Computer Help / Re: Unable to post here via Tapatalk
« Last post by riverbee on Today at 12:02:16 PM »
zweefer, are you still experiencing issues ?
Pests and Diseases / Re: Buckets of honeycomb infested by wax moth
« Last post by riverbee on Today at 11:54:09 AM »
wow, what a mess to deal with! 

omni, do you have a local grocery store with a bakery? or a bakery shop near you?  if so you might ask them for buckets. the bakers order fondant, icing and all sorts of other stuff for baked goods, in 3 - 5 gallon pails. the lids fit nice and tight, and are food grade. i have used these in the past when i ran out of regular 5 gallon honey pails.

General Beekeeping / Re: Russians ~ Let's Talk
« Last post by riverbee on Today at 11:43:10 AM »
i think that's a great decision jen!  i am not so sure russians would be a good choice for you. you have neighbors, so i know you have been considerate of them.  also with your droughts and dry weather, you would wind up constantly feeding the bees. r queens shut down in droughts, and don't resume laying until nectar/pollen starts coming in the door.

don't 'fix' what ain't broke!!!!  (or 'fix' it til it is......... :D)

very cool that you have a bee club! 
« Last post by Chip Euliss on Today at 11:07:07 AM »
...Oxalic acid vaporization works well but rotate with other treatments...
Chip, what does the Scientist within you say about the new OA application method in development with glycerin that is left in the hive for weeks?

Lee, it tells me that the slow release method holds some promise.  I don't understand the exact chemistry but I suspect the glycerin may reduce the rate at which the OA degrades as well as making it available over a brood cycle +.   Last fall, I downloaded the original research article and used their dosage to treat a handfull of hives and I had mite drop (dead ones) for about 3 weeks so it appeared to cover the brood cycle fairly well.  I even had a local printing shop make cardboard strips for me but I layed them between the 2 deep boxes rather than between frames of brood as in the original article  That method isn't yet approved so I won't integrate it into my management until it is but the research says it works over the brood cycle and my small test didn't suggest otherwise--seems promising.  The problem with the other methods of mite control using oxalic is that it's a contact killer that only gets phoretic mites.  The dribble can only be used a couple of times before you start injuring bees whereas the vaporization method doesn't seem to harm the bees but you have to vaporize repeatedly or when the hive is broodless (rare and may not coincide with periods of opportunity or risk in hives with heavy mite loads).  When the glycerin method gets approved, I would add it to hives immediately after pulling the honey supers in late summer.  Once I have them yarded to to load on a semi-truck, I'd still want to check mite loads and vaporize, if needed.
« Last post by Mikey N.C. on Today at 09:47:37 AM »
River,
What i was asking is that I've not been successful wintering 10 deeps. This year if i keep 5 over 5 nucs busting at the seems.  Would it be easier to overwinter , so I can expand the next year ?
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10