Author Topic: no-milk biscuits  (Read 6102 times)

Gypsi

no-milk biscuits
« on: October 30, 2015, 05:04:31 pm »
Iddee gave me the idea for the self rising flour last year, so I bought a bag last week and took a quart of fresh goat's milk out of the freezer after I read the biscuit recipe.

2 cups self rising flour, 1 stick butter, cut in until crumbly (mine was lightly salted)

while 2/3 c goat's milk gets friendly with 1/4 teaspoon lemon juice for a few minutes, then add 1/4 teaspoon of baking soda, stir in and set aside.

after flour / butter mixture is crumbly, stir in goat's milk mixture, turn out on lightly floured counter, knead 3 or 4 times, roll out to half inch thick, cut in 2 inch diameter circles.

I baked mine in a little countertop convection oven in a cake pan, sides lightly pressed together, at 450 for about 11 minutes and they were perfect.

made 4 cinnamon rolls out of the dough scraps but go down to 9 minutes on those or the sugar burns...

I hadn't had a real biscuit in years.  Turned out wonderful

Offline Les

• Gold Member
Re: no-milk biscuits
« Reply #1 on: October 30, 2015, 06:24:06 pm »
Now they sound yummy!

Gypsi

« Reply #2 on: October 30, 2015, 11:45:12 pm »
I Have eaten half the pan, they were so good with butter and a little bit of honey.  It is hard having food allergies. I am really enjoying my treat

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2015, 12:07:34 am »
by "no-milk" I assume you mean cow's milk?

My wife is allergic and I don't tolerate pasteurized milk well, but our goats provide us with lots of great dairy treats.

I love biscuits made with goat's milk. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Gypsi

« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2015, 02:43:10 pm »
I do mean cow's milk.  Hereditary allergy. Youngest granddaughter screamed for 3 days last week when a sitter gave her formula.  Not as bad on me but migraines are awful and basically diet fix is the only cure.

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2015, 04:29:23 pm »
Now you're talkin'. My only question is, why the salt and baking soda? Self-rising already has both in it.
We just pinch off a chunk and roll it the size we want it. Larger for sandwich and smaller for eating with the meal. Even larger for hamburgers.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Gypsi

« Reply #6 on: November 01, 2015, 06:36:47 pm »
Only added baking soda, 1/4 teaspoon, because the recipe on the self rising bag called for it. They didn't rise taller than they should... I am positively inspired and eying the last jar of last year's canned peaches. (I canned with cinnamon and nutmeg... yum)  Wonder if this stuff would make a cobbler?

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: November 01, 2015, 06:54:41 pm »
I open a jar of canned blackberries and crumble yesterday's biscuits in it, add sugar to taste, and call it instant cobbler. Makes a quick snack for a bunch of kids.
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2015, 07:38:59 pm »
You guys ever hear of cat head biscuits. 8):D Jack

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: November 01, 2015, 07:57:53 pm »
Same biscuit, just that cat heads are bigger. As big as a cat's head.
― Shel Silverstein