Author Topic: Foot wear for beekeeping  (Read 6547 times)

omnimirage

Foot wear for beekeeping
« on: August 24, 2017, 08:02:11 pm »
I've got some ankle high boots, and I'm finding bees are crawling into my shoes and stinging me on my foot through my foot, and on my ankle.

I'm wondering, would high-top leather boots be more practical for beekeeping? Something that sits up higher?  I'm not sure if without such, the bees would easily be able to crawl down the length to one's foot. Or would not having a lace or zip be better, since if one does get stung on the foot, or get a bee down there, it'd be easier to slide off the boot?

Are steel caps worthwhile for beekeeping? Have any of you guys dropped something heavy on your foot whilst beekeeping?

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Foot wear for beekeeping
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2017, 08:25:52 pm »
Kicked more things than dropped on my foot while beekeeping. Hive stand legs, pallets, and everything else you find laying in the grass in and around a bee hive. But I just wear running shoes. if the bees get dropped down into the shoe and get pinched then it triggers them to sting. Having shoes and clothing that the bees don't get or feel trapped in, might lessen the times the bees automatic sting reaction occurs.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2017, 10:22:59 pm »
I usually wear cowboy boots.

But then, I live in Texas.

I'm still looking for a beesuit with a Stetson or Resistol hat/veil.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2017, 10:42:01 pm »
I usually wear cowboy boots.

But then, I live in Texas.

I'm still looking for a beesuit with a Stetson or Resistol hat/veil.
And a set of holsters so he can have his hive tool hanging off one hip and the smoker ready for a quick draw on the other to fend off any outlaw bees that have drawn their stingers first.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #4 on: August 24, 2017, 10:44:21 pm »
 :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 24, 2017, 11:47:26 pm »
 :laugh:Thanks Apis, I needed that! :laugh:
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #6 on: August 25, 2017, 01:04:50 am »
"And a set of holsters so he can have his hive tool hanging off one hip and the smoker ready for a quick draw on the other to fend off any outlaw bees that have drawn their stingers first."

.............. :D :D :laugh:  funny stuff keith!

omni, i am allergic so i wear leather high top boots, but also a suit, and the suit........the legs go over the boot.  there is no need for steel toes. have dropped plenty on my feet.

bees are gonna get in any crevice they can get in, and if squished or like apis said, being pinched/trapped they will sting.
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 25, 2017, 05:41:34 am »
When the ticks are bad, I have a pair of high top rain boots that I wear.  In Great Britain, I believe they call them Wellies.  I pull my bee suit legs down over the tops.  That keeps bees and ticks out.  I can see any ticks crawling up the pant legs.  Usually I wear athletic shoes.  I don't believe I have dropped anything on my feet before, but there is always a first time. 

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #8 on: August 25, 2017, 06:30:48 am »
I just wear a jacket, so my legs are exposed, and I also wear runners, so same thing with the feet. Stings in either of those areas is fairly rare for me as the bees don't get pinched.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: August 25, 2017, 06:39:48 pm »
Since i started using out of box, frame hanger and a small plastic table behind.
That helped alot.

omnimirage

« Reply #10 on: August 25, 2017, 09:35:57 pm »
Have you dropped a heavy super on your foot riverbee?

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #11 on: August 25, 2017, 11:20:00 pm »
omni, yes..........guess what happens...... :D

when one is taking supers off, the bees are really not happy anyway.  if you drop an 8 frame super (my supers are usually 8 frames) loaded with capped honey frames on your foot or boot or whatever you are wearing for footwear, your attention will quickly be about what parts are exposed for stinging and not about your foot or footwear......that comes later....... ;D (do not wear flip flops for this) and also recovering the box and whatever frames that spilled out/broken/capped frames broken open you just dropped on your feet and honey spilling out all over your footwear and the surrounding area, not to mention how mad the bees sorta get and bees from other hives finding it quickly.....  thousands of unhappy bees............

i have moved hives and equipment and dropped plenty on my feet. so far so good, never broken anything. wear boots always now, (not steel toes) but always wear and have worn boots when moving hives and taking off supers.  that's just me.

it's what works for you omni!
Forum Sponsor

omnimirage

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2017, 12:06:11 am »
I suppose I'm just wondering if it'd cause any damage to my foot. I dropped a brick on my tennis shoe once and it resulted in me losing my toe-nail.

The steel capped boots are more expensive. They're also heavier, not sure which is best either way. I was thinking that steel capped boots would be best, but not sure having learned you've dropped things on your feet without damaging your foot.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2017, 10:44:24 pm »
omni, i am not trying to discourage you or make light of having heavy objects dropped on the foot. i have always worn leather boots for the heaviest jobs in keeping bees; moving hives, taking supers off, and spring work........i rarely reverse deeps but i like to change out the bottom boards and go through my double hives to check queens progress for spring buildup.  if steel toes are what you think would work for you, by all means please don't let anyone discourage you from wearing or buying them.  we all live and keep bees in different environments and the work required for the environment/circumstances.

protection is really what meets our needs for each of our situations. i know beeks in western usa states that keep and move  bees  around in incredible environments, rocky, brushy, steep and sometimes mountain environments and valleys.  i am sure they don't wear tennies or flip flops!
Forum Sponsor

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2017, 01:31:00 am »
The gap between the legs of my suit and my boot/trainers is a favourite sting target. I find that white socks don't attract the stings.
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #15 on: August 27, 2017, 02:16:36 am »
I suppose I'm just wondering if it'd cause any damage to my foot. I dropped a brick on my tennis shoe once and it resulted in me losing my toe-nail.

The steel capped boots are more expensive. They're also heavier, not sure which is best either way. I was thinking that steel capped boots would be best, but not sure having learned you've dropped things on your feet without damaging your foot.

the answer to this would depend on the individual beekeeper, the supers, the protective gloves he wares, the strength and coordination in his fingers and hands.
What are the hand holds like or do you use cleats. Not all hand holds are equal, I have seen them range from 3/4" all the way down to 3/8" deep.
I have seen the dado so narrow that it was hard to get your fingers into them with out wearing gloves, put on gloves and you are barely using your finger tips. I have also seen them so short that that you are only lifting with 2 of your 4 fingers in each hand hold. Bigger thicker gloves means more protection from stings but also can effect the grip you have on the super. It comes down to picking the appropriate clothing and foot ware that allows you to feel comfortable and safe. If you have concerns about being able to hold onto a full super while a bee or ten is stinging you then by all means choose the level of protection that gives you the piece of mind you need to work with bees.
For me I have never considered foot wear much, just go with what I have on. But I have nailed cleats on boxes with bad hand holds in the past also.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #16 on: August 27, 2017, 09:28:45 am »
While cleaning, organizing and labeling bee equipment in the garage yesterday, I dropped this on my foot.

My intent was to flip it over to clean debris off.
I was wearing tennis shoes.  I shook it off at first, but when the job was done I was in serious pain.  It's going to be a tough work week with this foot.  No stings involved, but I did drop an equipment storage cart on my foot and  I immediately thought of this thread.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #17 on: August 27, 2017, 11:23:20 pm »
omni, keith has provided some great info, my boxes are older, and the handholds not too deep. as i grow older and my strength is not optimum, i do struggle with these and have thought about nailing cleats on all my boxes, deeps and supers. better grip as keith mentioned.

bakers post and your thread is sort of, well maybe i jinxed myself........ :-[

what did i say about not wearing flip flops?
there are a few bones in the human body that are very tough to break, and some of those are in the foot; the heel and the top of the foot.....

so today, (wearing flip flops ) i moved my rather heavy solar wax melter, (it has handles i can move and carry with) lost my grip and dropped it right on the top of my right foot. i hit the ground and 'prayed' to the sky and the grass for a few minutes or more before i could get up.......... :D
so as i type i am wearing an ice pack..........have been off and on all day.  nothing is broken but it sure hurts like the beejeebers.
not funny but just dejavu.......... ;D

Forum Sponsor

Offline Chip Euliss

« Reply #18 on: September 05, 2017, 07:33:06 pm »
I wear crocs ;D
Chip

Offline eltalia

« Reply #19 on: October 28, 2017, 05:07:58 pm »
I wear crocs ;D
Having had the G'kids to "Happy Feet" I get the animal reference to footwear... buuut
"crocs"? Issat like Snappy Feet O:-)

I answered Omni's question elsewhere as it rose, so here (WWB) I reiterate - steelcaps
with dustcovers back in the day as it was a workplace, and today
thongs tasal... unless doing cutouts where gumboots and gaffer tape are deployed.
The rest?... "bare crabs" heh  :)