Author Topic: Purchasing Medium Frames with pre drawn wax?  (Read 3587 times)

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: Purchasing Medium Frames with pre drawn wax?
« Reply #20 on: February 21, 2018, 12:06:46 am »
Jen, I don't know of any frames sold as you described in your original post.  Forty years ago I did buy one plastic frame with cells about a quarter or three eighths of an inch deep.  They were new back then.  No wax on them.  I didn't know to coat it with wax, so I put it in the hive and the bees didn't touch it all summer. 

The acorn or rite cell plastic foundation would work well enough in a honey flow.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
Re: Purchasing Medium Frames with pre drawn wax?
« Reply #21 on: February 21, 2018, 10:10:00 pm »
someone please correct me, i read all the posts here, watched the video and this so called 'honey super cell' foundation is really nothing but plastic foundation, just deeper plastic foundation? and not beeswax drawn.

i do use pierco now, replacing beeswax brood frames. the majority of my medium honey frames are beeswax, although i have introduced waxed pierco frames. when using these waxed frames, as has been said, i roll an additional layer of wax on them.

the key to getting bees to draw out waxed plastic foundation is to roll another layer of beeswax on the frames. more importantly, add these frames in the spring and/or early summer when flows are good and feed the bees to get them or help them to draw them out, later in the year forget it.

like scott, i question how well these 'super cell' frames would work for brood frames? anything is possible i guess.  just an old fashioned fart. and yeah i do use pierco now as replacements........just one more thing to learn about and adjust to............ :D

i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor