Author Topic: Greeting from central Texas and the absolute center of the universe...  (Read 6149 times)

Offline tecumseh

Howdy to all.  Just to inform everyone I am still keeping bees and still employed at the Texas A&M Bee lab. What an adventure that has been and I still do greatly enjoy the interaction with the students at the lab.  We just finished the queen rearing workshop and it produced a lot of excellent remarks and imho appears to be improving year by year.  We had about 30+ people in attendance.  Spring time has been very unusual here and I am hoping everyone has a great and safe beekeeping season...

ET Ash (aka gene aka Tecumseh)

Offline tecumseh

a short video of myself and the students at the lab.  produced by a couple of high school students here....

Gene in central Texas....
The following users thanked this post: riverbee, Bakersdozen, CBT

Offline Riverrat

• Gold Member
Glad to see you stopped in Tec.  Been awhile had wonder if all was ok
"no man ever stood so tall as one that  stoops to help a child"

Forum Supporter

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Great video!

I think wwb is producing a genetic variable among Beekeepers. These beeks don’t seem to be as prickly as the beeks on other sites.

Also, I love the bee model showing the bees innards. I want one.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
great video tec! much enjoyed, and thanks for sharing it!

we have missed your presence on the forum, and hope you check in when you can!

thank you!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Hi Tec! Enjoyed seeing you for real, and the vid is great! wish it was on youtube. Please pop in more often, I always listen to your every word.  ;D
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
Hi Tec! Enjoyed seeing you for real, and the vid is great! wish it was on youtube. Please pop in more often, I always listen to your every word.  ;D

I found it on YouTube and posted it to my beek group's Facebook page.

Here's the link:

https://youtu.be/tJjQzHBtVXI
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Tec, good to hear from you and that all is going well. thanks for keeping us informed.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
"wish it was on youtube."

jen, tec's video is on you tube........tec posted his video from you tube to his post here in wwb, so when you are watching the video here, you can open full screen or click the link in tec's video to watch on you tube, the YOU TUBE BUTTON to the bottom right, it will take you to tec's uploaded video on you tube....

wandering man posted the correct link to it, i will post again........

tec's video BEE PEOPLE on you tube

if you want to share this video with others, go to the you tube video, (click on above) look for the 'share button' on the right hand side underneath the video, click on that and you will get the link wm posted, and copy that link to whatever, email, facebook or other to share with others.......... 8)
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Howdy Tec!  It's so good hear from you.  I hope you pop in regularly in the future.

Offline tecumseh

Thanks for the kind replies...

I am quite fond of the students at the lab and I guess Dr Rangel puts up with me for some reason.  Adrian has now left the lab for a post doc in Arizona and he did some good stuff in regards to common beehive contaminates and drones.  Liz (the only experience beekeeper when she came to the lab) has done similar stuff only in regards to some of these same contaminates and queen retinue size.  Recently I have dropped several responsibilites (a corporate consulting gig for one) so I now hope to have more time to keep tabs on the folks here.  Pierre continues to do work on pollen and id'ing honey via pollen.  Alex is trying to figure out if some of the common varroa type virus are also present in ants. 

Finally got a new computer which makes all this stuff much more time friendly. Still running about 200+ hives of my own with much of the income now more from selling bees than honey.

Not in the film is the new BIP person who has a desk at the bee lab and he is from up in Perry's direction < Dan is a great addition to the lab both for his enthusiasm, knowledge and youthful energy.

Gene in Central Texas...

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Thanks for the update on the kiddos and yourself.  That's interesting.

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Hey Tec. I was over at Tom's this past summer and Dan (from Nova Scotia) was there visiting (he worked for Tom for a few years), and he said that he was working with you. Small world eh? :) :D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
It is always good to read your thoughts Tec.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
Enjoyed seeing you "live" and chewing the cud over bees.  I can't imagine how you can keep 200 colonies and hold a job at Texas A&M at the same time.
I think you somehow manage to inspire those students you work with. 
Carry on with the great work.

Offline tecumseh

yea Perry Dan is a real plus at the lab.  he helps me understand some of the testing and treatment issues with varroa.  As a practical matter since I am still a non treatment beekeeper there are simply lots of issues he clears up for me.  I am headed to the lab tomorrow to meet up with Dr Rangel and do some beehives maintenance.

the film efmesch was originally suppose to be 9 minutes long and about this little bee business I have here.  I figured given my size that would not take longer than 2 minutes tops so Jane had the idea to include the students at the Texas A&M bee lab in the film.  the two students (high school seniors at the time) hit it off real well with the lab students and in some way it flesh's out what we are about here (meaning both me and my wife who assist the same group of students in writing skills required for professional scientific publication).

it is now beginning to get very hot here which basically means anything out in the field happens before noon and then back to the shop and a fan to toss together some more bee furniture.

Gene in Central Texas...