Author Topic: Weak hives  (Read 2916 times)

Offline Lastfling

Weak hives
« on: June 06, 2018, 12:21:39 pm »
As noted in an earlier post I installed (2) packages on May 21.   On May 25 checked hives and both queens had been released, so I removed cages and closed up. 

In an earlier thread I had questioned OA treatment while broodless.  I treated hives on May 28th - OAV.  I believe OA dribble was discussed but weather here had been so wet during the period I didn't want to risk opening hives and adding insult to injury with a deluge.  Not to miss the broodless period I went with OAV since that did not require hive opening. 

I inspected for first time this past Saturday June 2 and here's a summary of what I found:

Hive 1 had approx 3.5/4 frames of bees, 1 frame with capped brood on both sides - a good pattern, but not big as it only covered the center of the frame maybe 4" deep by 6 long.  Some capped honey/nectar/sugar and a lot of uncapped nectar.  There was no sign of eggs or larvae.  but there were 5 capped queen cells.  I'm assuming, for whatever reason, that this queen is gone.  With the cells being capped, I have left well enough alone and hopefully a new queen will emerge, mate successfully and return.  This was also the recommendation from a fellow beekeeper - to let nature take its course.

Hive 2 - the weaker of the two hives with maybe 2 1/2 3  frames of bees, plenty of uncapped nectar/sugar and some capped.  There were larvae seen, very scattered capped brood - across 2 frames, but no signs of eggs.  At least I didn't see any.  I did find / see the queen in this hive, but based on observation wondered if she's performing up to par.  There was also (1) capped queen cell on the lower end of a foundationless piece of comb that had been built out  approx 1/2 way down the frame.  Could the girls be planning a replacement base on the existing queens performance.  Surely they wouldn't consider swarming with such low numbers - would they?  There isn't a space crunch and there's also drawn comb available for laying.

I have not been back into the hives since 6/2 other than lift cover to check syrup levels and had not planned to until this weekend.   I wanted to give the existing queen a chance to pick up her game.  As for Hive 1 with all the emergency queen cells should I go in so soon, or would this possibly interfere with the replacement process?   

I have been feeding 1:1 since installation and girls have been bringing pollen in

I can purchase replacement queens if needed as there are some currently available, but wanted to avoid the expense if possible. 

Thanks all - 
Warren

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
Re: Weak hives
« Reply #1 on: June 06, 2018, 02:01:58 pm »
Lastfling,

Your description is good and detailed. Sounds to me that the bees are not happy with their current queens and are in supercedure mode. Keep us posted. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Lastfling

« Reply #2 on: June 06, 2018, 02:11:22 pm »
Will do! Thanks and fingers crossed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 08:46:54 pm »
lastfling...........

just looking for an update on your two hives?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Lastfling

« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2018, 10:44:09 am »
lastfling...........

just looking for an update on your two hives?
Thanks for asking!  To be sure, it’s been an eventful couple of weeks. 

I went in the hives two weeks ago and one appears too be coming along slowly but surely, I’m still feeding.  There are still about 4 undrawn frames foundation.  Brood pattern, while not the best, is not as spotty and is now across both sides of two frames instead of one.  I went in again this past weekend and pretty much the same.  They’re going thru a gallon 1:1 in about a week. 

Hive two is my problem child.  2 weeks ago some capped brood on one side of one frame.  All the 5 or so queen cells either open or torn down no eggs : larva.  This past Saturday a lot of bees, no queen cells no capped brood no eggs no larvae bunches of nectar (sugar water) some capped some not). Some pollen.  I think unless one of the
hatched queens (if one did) got mated
And I’m just not seeing her this one may be queenless.  I purchased and picked up a new queen yesterday as insurance. 

In the meantime I had a piece of retina pull away in my eye which put a whole new meaning to the word floater.  I spent a goodly part of Sunday night, Memorial Day weekend in the emergency room.  Thinks are pretty much back to normal and no spot welding with laser of retina was deemed necessary at this time as according to Dr. It’s laying flat.  Floaters have calmed way down in the one eye - not completely but not the thousands of tiny dots that were there.  Did I say getting old sux ha ha . 

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2018, 11:21:31 am »
"Hive two is my problem child.  2 weeks ago some capped brood on one side of one frame.  All the 5 or so queen cells either open or torn down no eggs : larva.  This past Saturday a lot of bees, no queen cells no capped brood no eggs no larvae bunches of nectar (sugar water) some capped some not). Some pollen.  I think unless one of the hatched queens (if one did) got mated And I’m just not seeing her this one may be queenless.  I purchased and picked up a new queen yesterday as insurance. "

warren, where are you in NC?
with queen cells open and others torn down you may have a queen in there. what do the center frames look like? does it appear that the bees are cleaning, polishing the cells?

sorry to hear of your misadventure with your eye, hope all heals well!
Forum Sponsor

Offline Lastfling

« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2018, 12:24:25 pm »
Center frames from what I can tell were mostly capped and uncapped 1:1 : nectar.  There was an old frame of foundation they were starting to clean but two over from end and my thoughts were they needed to store additional. 

I had read a queenless hive would be more feisty.  These are a little more in your face than my other but not extreme by any means.  The last inspection - past Saturday I went thru each frame which is what I based my observations on. 

I’m in the Northwest Piedmont part of state just outside Winston-Salem.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2018, 06:02:45 pm »
"Center frames from what I can tell were mostly capped and uncapped 1:1 : nectar."

lastfling, these frames need to be open for a queen to lay in. if these frames are being stuffed with syrup. cut the syrup off, a queen has no place to lay in. rearrange frames to place empty frames, drawn comb if you have them, in the center positions. you can use the old frame of foundation.
can you describe your frames in the bottom box, meaning what's in them? and are they drawn comb?
if you can describe from 1-10, what's in the frame and if drawn comb, undrawn, or foundation, would help a little.
how many frames of bees do you have?

queenless hives can sometimes be feisty, but not always. sometimes the bees get feisty for other reasons besides being queenless.
Forum Sponsor

Offline Lastfling

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2018, 06:58:05 pm »
This is from past Saturday if I can read my scratching
1 - wax foundation - not drawn
2 - plastic frame / foundation capped 2 sides - nectar
3 - wax foundation not drawn
4. - wax foundation 1 side drawn - 1/4 capped. 1 side not drawn
5 - drawn comb - empty - may be cleaning both sides