Author Topic: Lost a hive to SHB --  (Read 2000 times)

Offline Lastfling

Lost a hive to SHB --
« on: August 19, 2017, 09:49:55 am »
 :\'(.  Doing an inspection this morning and ugh - what a sight.  No / very few bees - tons of maggots, and SHB.  Shocked me how quick it went from what appeared to be a strong / healthy hive last inspection two weerks ago to nothing.  Here's my question -- What do I do with the frames/foundation.  Can it be saved? I took them all out of the hive and they're sitting on the shed step at the moment.  Will bees clean them up?  Or will the SHB larvae prevent them from doing that?  Any suggestions greatly appreciated.  This is my second year and luckily I have two hives - one of which is still going strong - and cranky as heck.

Thanks
Warren

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Lost a hive to SHB --
« Reply #1 on: August 19, 2017, 10:51:48 am »
Sorry for your lose Lastfling.
I would first say that SHB are opportunists, much like wax moths.  A strong hive will keep them in control.  So, for what ever reason, your colony was weak and probably doing the death rattle when the SHB took over.  If you can stomach the slime, I would freeze those frames to kill the larvae and beetles.  Then if you can, try to remove the foundation and wax.  The foundation might be salvageable if you can get the slime off.  (I would probably chuck it.) Throw away the slimed wax for sure.  The wooden frames might still be salvageable.
You didn't say if you were using anything to control the SHB.  Beetle jails, cloths, etc. will help some.  Many times the bees have the SHB corralled up near the top of the hive. When the beekeeper comes along and pops the lid the SHB are freed.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 19, 2017, 11:49:34 am »
What type of frames Plastic wax. The SHB distroys the honey so the will not touch it if the beetle larva has been there. the bees my selvage honey from frames that they haven't slimed,
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Lastfling

« Reply #3 on: August 19, 2017, 05:42:00 pm »
This was same hive that may have been subject to robbing earlier this summer.  Robbing screens were installed but may have been to late resulting in weakened hive.  The frames are wood with wax foundation.  As I mentioned earlier, I had removed the frames and set them on steps to a shed while I came into post.   No way can I freeze that many at one whack.  When I went back to get a few, there were a few bajillion bees, on, around the frames, so I left them, figuring if the bees were still interested, I'd let them do there thing.  Is this a wise move?  Thanks for the input so far. This is also a horizontal hive and after this experience, it may have become a retired hive.

Thanks again
Warren

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2017, 12:31:54 pm »
When I lost my Nuc earlier this year, I ditched the comb, with the larvae on them.  I tried to squish any larvae rolling around on the floor (they move fast), but found them to be really tough and hard to squish.  So, I swept them up and put them in the trash bag along with the comb.  I'd sprayed everything with soapy water, first, hoping that would kill them.  Not sure if it did.

I washed off the empty frames and put them in the freezer.  I had one frame that had only been slimed on one side.  That frame got rinsed with soapy water, rinsed with plain water, and stuck in the freezer.

I only had three frames to deal with, so they all fit.

I washed out the sides of the nuc, too.  I still smell a hint of the slime when I use that nuc or the frames, but 3Reds says she can't smell anything.  So maybe it's just in my head.

IMHO, if the bees are on your frames, then you are probably okay to let them start the clean up for you.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline Lastfling

« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2017, 11:26:09 am »
Thanks all for sharing !!  Thought I'd give an update.  There were 16 frames in the hive.  As of yesterday afternoon, I have salvaged 2.  They were frames that bees had built out but as best I could tell had not used.  The bees are still on the ones sitting out, so I've left them out for the time being so they can get what they will.  I'll take a more thorough look at that time to determine what I may be able to salvage. 

WM - You're rights those little buggers are tough, and fast.  There were a few on the 2 frames I referenced above and I believe I chased them all until I caught and squished them before placing frames in freezer.  During my initial cleanup of the hive, I collected a pile of larvae that I proceeded to take to the pond and toss in.  The fish were highly appreciative.  Haha.

BakerDozen - I appreciate the links.  I've read the PDF on the University of Arkansas site and it was very informative.

I'm now down to one hive - as I may have mentioned earlier.  Two deeps with a super that I was hoping to get drawn out.   This hive appears fairly strong, and a bit on the cranky side.  They endured the 2nd OAV yesterday morning of a 3 treatment course.  Plenty of bees in the second deep with a sparse brood pattern when I inspected Saturday.  I believe most of brood that was in this deep had hatched out, as my last inspection there was plenty of brood in a fairly compact pattern.  I didn't go into the bottom deep, as the girls were getting pretty stirred up.  Next time, I'll start with the bottom deep and go up, instead of vice versa. 

Thanks again all.   Warren

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2017, 02:20:48 pm »
You might be on to something once the bees are done salvaging any honey tie a line on the frame and throw it in the pond. As you said the fish love grubs they will bump the frame to even dislodge them I bet.  It may even soak some of the slime off.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Jacobs

• Which one do I keep?
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2017, 09:33:07 pm »
Don't let the SHB larvae live.  Freeze the frames to kill them if you can.  Feed them to fish if you can.  Feed them to chickens if you have them.  Once you kill the larvae, THEN see if a strong hive will clean up the frames or if you have to put new foundation in and start over.  (Not an order--just my strong opinion)

Offline Lastfling

« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2017, 12:27:01 pm »
Thanks everyone for the advice that has been given.  Unfortunately, I'm now back to square one.  * no bees * or very, very few.  I had frozen and/or trashed all frames from the SHB hive.  I managed to recover 6 of the 15 or so frames in the hive.  The others were just to nasty to bother with, so in the trash they went.   My remaining hive was strong whe during the 2nd of 3 planned OAV treatments.  I was going to do the third treatment last weekend and noticed activity had dwindled considerably.  What activity I saw looked more like robbing (even though robber screen had been on for several weeks).  In lieu of treating, I opened the hive and there were very few bees to be found.  I went through all frames and could not find the queen nor any sign of eggs/brood.  Although not to the extent of the first hive, there were quite a few SHB, but few larvae that I could see (yet).  I took great pleasure in pulling each frame, brushing off bees, and knocking the frames to dislodge hiding beetles and smushing them.  I'm now in process of trying to freeze the frames (two deeps) before they get slimed.  With limited freezer space, I may not make it though. Hopefully, year 3 will be the charm, although I'm beginning to wonder.   Year one, I managed to get them to Feburary, this year not even to end of August.    I'm digressing -- a sad state of affairs.  haha.