Author Topic: SAPZILLA  (Read 3230 times)

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
Re: SAPZILLA
« Reply #20 on: March 18, 2018, 11:07:39 pm »

SapZilla making her final run. We pulled buckets.. SOMEONE was supposed to just dump them, but, they ended up bringing 80 gallons of sap back with them.. I expected it to be sour, but, to my surprise, it wasn't sour at all! It made DARK syrup like you see in the store on the shelf, but wow it still tastes amazing!

Really need to try making sugar next year. Maybe this fall? Dang that's a SWEET sugar shack Ted, you put the bar up really high,  and "we" have to jump over it! (According to the orange crested sapsucker)

Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #21 on: March 19, 2018, 05:40:15 am »
I have seen the cones at Latino food stores.  I never knew how they were used and I'm still am not sure how to use it.  Do you use it in place of brown sugar or white sugar?  Do you grate it with a grater?  This sounds like something that would be good sprinkled on oatmeal.

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
« Reply #22 on: March 23, 2018, 05:54:04 pm »
Hey Bakers, I'm begining to wonder if I'm confusing the sugar in latino stores with the maple sugar Neil was talking about.  If so, I apologize to both of you.  As far as using maple sugar goes, you can use it in place of white or brown sugar, wherever maple flavor might be a good addition.  My sweet wife burned through about 15 pounds in a couple months a few years back, baking everything with it.  Currently we only use it now and then for baking and in my 1 cup of espresso per morning.  Too expensive the other way.
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.