Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Beekeeping / Re: Powerbee 12 Queens
« Last post by riverbee on Today at 01:10:09 AM »
jack, no and never heard of the seller. a question.........how did you find this seller?

like rober, google is my friend and so the seller is showing up on beesource.  just asking.........

guess i am leary of someone who shows up out of nowhere selling queens, not saying that's not a good thing, just my reservations about purchasing from someone with no history.
Any and Every Thing / Re: Off the grid
« Last post by riverbee on Today at 12:45:37 AM »
scott, i am good and feisty as ever........i think............ :D
happy to see ya back and loved the pix, like lee said some heaven there!
Laugh A Little / Re: Meanwhile in Canada...
« Last post by riverbee on Today at 12:39:57 AM »
lee, that is too funny!!!
Beekeeping 101 / Re: Minnesota Hygienic
« Last post by riverbee on Today at 12:36:33 AM »
neil, i personally don't have experience but do know several beeks here that went with them, not just once but year after year.
one of those beeks, her father kept bees and she has been keeping bees for 35 years. she tried the mn hygenics for about 4 or 5 years i think.

not my experience, just what chatter we had........these beeks typically lost the majority of their hives before winter or early winter months. 
yes, treated for mites, yes, left plenty of stores and fed to get through our winter months. minnesota and wisconsin.

this is doc spivaks developed line, they are italians, and the claim is to "have a high degree of hygienic behavior known to be effective against diseases of the brood such as American foulbrood and chalkbrood. This trait is thought to be two behaviors acting in Minnesota hygienic italian queen synergy, the uncapping of diseased cells, then the removal of the pathogen along with the pupae,effectively disrupting the disease life cycle. Another trait, Varroa Sensitive Hygiene (VSH) is especially effective at targeting varroa mites."

first off, Italians do not winter well here in minnesota. italian queens lay very late in the season. and italian queens do not curb laying if there is a dearth of nectar or pollen, she just keeps laying.  italians will blow through stores in fall when nothing is coming in, there is no conservation. mite loads will be high.

my beek friends that kept them made comments relative to the mites in their colonies and thought or experienced losses higher than if they had kept carnis. some additional comments about the 'hygenic line' as reported to me were disappointing. just repeating what was passed on to me.

as lee said, the beek friends reported the bees to propolize the heck out of everything (not a bad thing, just a pita) and honey harvests varied. this could also be the environment the bees were kept in here. i guess what i learned from all these beeks was the disappointment in varroa resistance and winter hardiness.

don't want to discourage you neil, just giving you some input from several beeks here i know that won't purchase these bees/queens.
Any and Every Thing / Re: Exhaustion is setting in!
« Last post by riverbee on Yesterday at 11:53:36 PM »
les, i have no advice to offer.........just encouragement.....do what you need to do!
i love my critters and have always taken care of them......my critters ......they took care of me. any critter lover knows what i am saying. they are family.
i have spent a great deal of money on vet bills and more.......held them when they were sick, nursed them back to health with the help of a vet, long term treatment for a disease or whatever, and have spent many sleepless nights and worrisome times.
i get it.

for some folks that aren't cat lovers.......oh well. no different than those who have other critters they care about.

like jen said, keep us posted about nikky!
Beekeeping 101 / Re: Minnesota Hygienic
« Last post by Lburou on Yesterday at 11:27:15 PM »
I bought two NUCs of Minnesota H. six years ago.  They were feisty and stuck everything together with excessive propolis.  Not much honey.  Requeened with Bweaver queens.  :)
Homestead / Re: cast iron
« Last post by riverbee on Yesterday at 11:26:57 PM »
rat, i love cast iron, from stove top, to oven, campfires and even grill with cast iron. i have a number of cast iron skillets and griddles. each for whatever the recipe calls for or i want to use!.......... :D

i have had most of my cast iron for well over 25 years, some newly acquired, and a lid or two.  i did have to restore one griddle pan some years back........my son took it outside for, okay never mind, ....... :D and i didn't find it until very late the following spring, after the snow melted. pretty rusty.
still using that piece today.
Honey, Bee Forage; Nectar & Pollen Sources / Re: What blooms where and when
« Last post by riverbee on Yesterday at 11:17:05 PM »
okay, i just have to say nothing blooming here........just ice storms, snow and subzero temps.......gotta probably shovel again tomorrow........ :D
Any and Every Thing / Re: I'm BACK!
« Last post by riverbee on Yesterday at 11:09:21 PM »
scott.............
it's been a long time.......and a long time without you here. i have missed you and i have greatly missed your presence on the forum. i have missed your posts, your insight, your experience from your iowa arm chair; pitching in helping others out, your stories, your humor and just plain missed you. you have this thing, you engage others, you have a fire about you or fire a discussion up! (good thing)  and i have missed that as well. ok, i will quit now........... :D

it is very good to see you back!

i have read the posts here, i don't do facebook.........this is my home for sharing about bees and whatever else, that's it. i enjoy this place, and i won't be going anywhere else. we all make this forum what it is, sometimes we all have other things going on.

not to take away from scott's thread, i have been absent, but i am here........just a little misadventure with a ruptured appendix and subsequent infections.  the surgeon literally saved my life. now dealing with elderly parents. the past few months have been hard on me, and some months to come.
i appreciate your comment jen, and wm. thank you.

so to scott's thread.........thanks scott for checking back in, looking forward to having you back here and reading your posts!
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10