Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
Any and Every Thing / Johannes Mehring inventor of foundation
« Last post by Bakersdozen on Today at 08:54:13 am »
This is an interesting article about the history of foundation, which leads to our modern day plastic foundation. (Sorry Jack) https://sassafrasbeefarm.wordpress.com/2018/06/24/happy-birthday-johannes-mehring/
I keep thinking that this man tried to create order and straight lines in nature.  I think he did pretty good. 
A heavy rain will wash the nectar out of the blossoms.  Did you say you had 11 inches?  That's a heavy rain for sure.
I also know that drought conditions will cause trees to react in a way that seems backwards.  Under drought conditions, a fruit tree can produce the largest amount a fruit far greater than previous years.  Seeds, fruit, and nectar accompanied by pollen are all ways of reproducing.  It's nature's way of ensuring the species survives.   The tree may not survive the drought but it produced a large amount of fruit with seeds and put the odds in favor of the species surviving.  Kind of like emergency queen cells.
Honey, Bee Forage; Nectar & Pollen Sources / Re: What blooms where and when
« Last post by Les on Today at 08:27:28 am »
Ahhh the mikweed is blooming.  Smells so sweet when I walk through it searching for Monarch eggs.  White Queen Salvia the bees loves, yarrow, coneflowers starting to open, false lupine just finishing up along with columbine.  Liatris starting to open and blanket flower coming on strong.  We have been very dry the last couple of weeks and the lawn was like a fiield of straw.  Had nice rain last night and this morning everything has greened up and the air feels so clean! Nice way to start the day!
Welcome / Re: Hello from the UK
« Last post by Hachi on Today at 03:41:48 am »
Welcome!  Can you post a picture of some of your hives.  I'm not very familiar with the British standard hive.  :)

I'll see what I can do, technology and I are not the best of bed fellows  :)

Thanks for the warm welcome everyone much appreciated
Honey, Bee Forage; Nectar & Pollen Sources / mesquite trees and rain
« Last post by Wandering Man on Yesterday at 11:09:06 pm »
Other beekeepers down here are saying that with our recent rains the nectar flow from the mesquite trees has stopped.

We've been in a drought since the hurricane last August.  It seems backwards to me that a tree would have a nectar flow when things are dry and then stop when it rains.

Can anyone with more knowledge of trees than me tell me why this happens?
Beekeeping 101 / Re: Bees fanning
« Last post by Bakersdozen on Yesterday at 10:37:39 pm »
This is beginning to sound like "old beekeeper tales"!   :laugh:
A couple of weeks ago it was so hot here that the bees were bearding on the shady side of the hive bodies!  So much for fanning at the entrance to help circulate the air.
« Last post by Mikey N.C. on Yesterday at 06:16:53 pm »
Newbee,
2 yrs. ago i watched a hive ready to swarm under thunderstorms.  Bearded out front,  storm came. I could look out window and every time it lighting the group of bees hung out to dry, would move side to side .
« Last post by Newbee on Yesterday at 05:14:02 pm »
Interesting discussion.... I wonder if having a larger over-hang on the cover would be advantageous? Not only to protect against rain, but offer shade on a sunny day?
Calendar & Events / Re: Texas Beekeeper's Association Summer Clinic
« Last post by Bakersdozen on Yesterday at 10:32:13 am »
Dr. Ellis is a wonderful, entertaining speaker.  His southern accent is fun to listen to as well.
Swarms, Cut Outs, Trap Outs and Bee Trees / Re: Caught a swarm... now what?
« Last post by Barbarian on Yesterday at 01:02:53 am »
There is a danger that the swarm decides that the box is not big enough and absconds. Some keeps place an excluder under the brood box for a few days.

I do not feed a swarm for a week or so. The idea is that the swarm digests the stores it has brought. Digesting the honey in their stomachs is likely to destroy disease.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10