Author Topic: Medicine For Bees  (Read 4421 times)

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Medicine For Bees
« on: August 21, 2014, 03:41:29 pm »
Just general information here. I was visiting with a gee guru in southern oregon, we were talking about the lack of honey on the west coast due to drought. I told her that 3 of my 4 hives are full of red hummer food. She said to take a look at this site and the Healing Teas For Honey Bees. It's Interesting.

https://spikenardfarm.org/wp-content/uploads/2013/06/HealingTeaHoneybees.pdf
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Re: Medicine For Bees
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2014, 06:27:03 pm »
Jen that is an entertaining page you gave us to see.  Let us know how it works for you.  I'm skeptical because I haven't read any research on this.  I like to stay mainstream on these issues and this one feels out there to me.

If Michael Bush is right, most of these additives would affect the gut of the bee, sometimes in a negative way.  Thats why we need independant research.   JMO   :)

There are some bee gurus in Texas urging us to be in tune with the bees, not use smoke or wear protection.    :realdumb:
Lee_Burough

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
« Reply #2 on: August 21, 2014, 07:05:10 pm »
Hi Lou, I'm not sure I will go with this, but I do know some beekeepers in Denmark that brew up stinging nettle tea and make their fondant out of that tea. It's the nutritional value to them and supposed to be very gentle on the bee gut. fyi
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2014, 12:13:24 am »

I am very much in favor of being "In Tune" with the bees!!!

Unfortunately the bees will change their tune in mid inspection......

I am always watching Michael Bush and love many of his ideas, but there is a line he draws that I am not ready to accept as a barrier.    One of them is the use of Fumagilin B..   He claims it is harmful to the bees and does not work on N. Cerenae.    I have read otherwise, and I have read that it may even cause N. Cerenae to be worse..   
   Apparently my bees typically get N. Apis, or if they have N. Cerenae it is a strain susceptible to Fumagilin, because it WORKS!
   My reasoning rotates around one principle; It seems to me that DYING is not good for your bees either.
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*