Author Topic: Big Project  (Read 3497 times)

Offline Les

• Gold Member
Big Project
« on: October 16, 2016, 11:14:02 pm »
We have had our veggie gardens in place for 5 years now (after we moved in) but the trees have gotten so tall in the vacant lot next to us that we are not getting enough sun.  Made the decision that we have to move all the raised beds from the south side of the yard to the north side.  All the raised beds will have to be dug out and frames moved to new location.  Young backs are required for this
job, so my grandson and one his friends are coming to assist.  Tomatoes struggled this year due to the lack of enough sun, so hopefully they will thrive in the new location.  Starting this on Wednesday, it will be a long day.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Big Project
« Reply #1 on: October 16, 2016, 11:30:24 pm »
Sounds like a steak dinner and a beer for those boys  ;D That is if they are of age...  :-X
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2016, 07:21:02 am »
Depending on what your raised beds are made of, you may find much of the wood deteriorated to the point you just make new ones.
I used hemlock for ours and after 5 of 6 years they start to get a little punky.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2016, 09:07:15 am »
It's a shame about the trees in the vacant lot.  I hope they are nectar/pollen producers for your bees.

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2016, 12:12:45 pm »
Baker, they are the best trees black locust!  The first year I started beekeeping, they had a unusual banner bloom season.  From what a gentlemen told me at the garden center (also a beek), that it was a rare bloom.  I took an early harvest and the honey was so delightfully light and sweet.  This past summer not as much bloom, so I am hoping next year they will produce like two years ago.

Perry, the boxes are only about one to two years old.  I gradually switched over from a regular garden bed to raised beds. 

Jen, that's a good idea!