Author Topic: Is this SHB (photo)?  (Read 9724 times)

Offline tedh

• Gold Member
Re: Is this SHB (photo)?
« Reply #40 on: August 17, 2018, 07:58:29 am »
Wow!  That's startling evidence!  Thanks for sharing it!
Share that which you have an abundance of.  In doing so both the giver and receiver are enriched.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #41 on: August 17, 2018, 10:05:31 am »
I'll be interested in your long term account about this Neill.  :)
Lee_Burough

Online Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #42 on: August 17, 2018, 08:17:53 pm »
Thanks for sharing, Neil.  Now we need to find a source for plastic feed sacks.  At work, we get 25# of rice in those types of sacks.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #43 on: September 08, 2018, 01:50:15 am »
Thought I'd give an update on this thread re migratory covers and SHB. Did an inspection yesterday and the hives that were previously SHB free do have some now. Anywhere from one to four but no more than that. At least what I could see. I smashed the ones I could but those little suckers can really move. At this level I think this is a negligible amount and doesn't really require any intervention. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #44 on: September 08, 2018, 01:25:15 pm »
So did the hives with the feed sacks still have "less" hive Beatles than the hive with the tele cover?

I realize it is hard to tell sometimes.   I haven't used feed sacks yet... I have a whole stack of them... Like you said, I have also considered Tyvek. a 3 ft by 100 ft roll is 28 bucks at home depot. Supposed to be breathable...

However... the way it hangs down on the inner frames leaves no space on some for the bees to get through, and I am wondering... why wouldnt the beetles just hide in the spots the bees cant reach? Kind of like hiding in the grooves of a plastic frame?
   REALLY curious!   So... i am going to step out on a limb here...

I do hereby authorize Nielsayers to conduct research on the effects of feed bags and other materials of similar type, including house wraps, as inner covers, on the ability of Small Hive Beetles to thrive in a hive.
   I also authorize him to contact anyone necessary to put in for government grants to get funding for his research, and formally charge him with reporting those results here!

:laugh:
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #45 on: September 08, 2018, 07:04:20 pm »
Lazy,

You're cracking me up! :laugh:

The Tyvek or whatever cover is propolized to all of the frame top bars eliminating the top bee space.  It peels off easily at inspection. I don't know if this will be a problem or not. I noticed in all the videos of southern beekeepers I've watched that they all use this or corrugated political signs.

The hive with tele cover and inner cover had over a dozen of the little vermin. I will be placing a feed sack cover and migratory lid on soon to monitor if it has a positive effect. :)
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #46 on: September 11, 2018, 07:08:58 pm »
 ;D

Awesome!
   I'll probably wait until spring, and then put a few of those feed sacks tpo good use and see what I think. I had acutally forgotten about them until you mentioned it again!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*