Author Topic: Problems with Bait Hives / Swarm Ttraps  (Read 3248 times)

Offline Barbarian

Problems with Bait Hives / Swarm Ttraps
« on: August 08, 2017, 01:09:23 am »
For the last few years, I have placed Bait Hives at 4 locations within a 4 mile radius. Each hive consists of a brood box, an empty frame of comb which has been used to raise several rounds of brood, 2 frames of foundation and an LGO tissue. The hive host usually contacts me to say a swarm has arrived and I remove the hive within a couple of days. The hive goes to my home where I add frames of foundation to contain the building urge.

This year, on a couple of hives, this has not happened. I have ended up with up to 3 (almost full) sheets of wild thicker comb hanging from the inner cover in the void in the BB. I tried using rubber bands to transfer the comb into empty frames but it was a messy job. The comb was soft, mis-shaped and the bees chewed through the bands. I still have one bait hive with comb to tackle.

Anybody got any tips about dealing with this wild comb ?

In future years, I could set up the traps and fill the voids with frames of foundation.  I have a couple of reservations about such a set up. Would the scout bees still be able to measure the inside size of the box ? Would the wax foundation loose its attraction when exposed to the air for several weeks ?

Any thoughts or comments ?
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
Re: Problems with Bait Hives / Swarm Ttraps
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2017, 06:28:42 am »
I appreciate your reservation about filling the box with frames and foundation. Dr. Tom Seeley demonstrated how bees "measure" the capacity of empty cavities by flying around in them.  Ultimately it is all about catching the bees so I would continue with how you have been doing it. To alter your approach and perhaps miss out on catching them in the first place seems pointless.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2017, 10:17:34 am »
This was my 1st yr. Setting a swarm trap. I used a 5 frame nuc box that i made out of plywood,  i used 1 frame fully drawn comb ( empty) and 1 frame about a 1/4 naturally drawn, the other 3 frame were empty with no foundations. After swarm was caught and hive moved to the ground, took a quick look for Q ( spotted)  let hive set 5-7 days. Inspected and bees were drawing on 1/4 frame,  removed empty frames and replaced with new foundation frames.  Guess you could use empty frames with wire too.
Only downfall,  i think she's about layed out.

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2017, 10:26:15 am »
CBT's LGO tip worked really good.  Take a drinking straw cut in 3" length,  stuff with cotton ball ( i sealed one end with wax) add 2 drops of LGO.  If you need to refresh, slide another straw in.

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2017, 08:00:22 pm »

I have had more luck with bees moving into my stack of supers than i did in my swarm traps this year. One swarm box fileld with bees, TWO swarms moved into my stack of supers... JUST a stack of supers, no bottom board no lid....

I don't leave empty frames in my swarm boxes and usually end up with anywhere from one to five swarms caught.
   The secret to dealing with the wild comb is basically to HIVE the swarm from the box before they build that wild comb.  yeah, that means checking the bait hives OFTEN.   Iusually make a run every other night. i make it about taking a drive rather than checking the hives, so if there are no swarms moving in I was still successful in a relaxing drive. :P
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Mikey N.C.

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2017, 07:06:13 pm »
Here's the catch.

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
    • Ramblings, Rants, & Ravings
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2017, 09:45:19 am »

Anybody got any tips about dealing with this wild comb ?

I have never had much luck trying to tie or rubber band new comb into frames because it is so so soft.   What works best for me is what I call cut-out frames (others call them swarm frames).  It is basically a frame with wire on the outside that opens like a book for you to put the comb in.   You can see mine in use in this video. Go to 1:12 mark

You can also make them out of standard hoffman frames, but they get a little narrow at the bottom.

In future years, I could set up the traps and fill the voids with frames of foundation.  I have a couple of reservations about such a set up. Would the scout bees still be able to measure the inside size of the box ? Would the wax foundation loose its attraction when exposed to the air for several weeks ?

Any thoughts or comments ?

I too worry about foundation breaking up the space as foundation is not something the bees understand.   That is why I use one drawn comb and the rest foundationless.

Here is a video discussing what I have found best with swarm traps.

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2017, 12:54:34 am »
Thank you, Robbo. A very useful tip

I will certainly give the two frame sandwich a try when dealing with wild comb.

WWB comes up trumps again !
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2017, 07:49:49 am »
Great Video! Is it okay to link that video Robo?
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2017, 10:42:33 am »
Nice set up.  Thanks for posting the videos.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
« Reply #10 on: August 13, 2017, 06:36:17 am »
Great Video! Is it okay to link that video Robo?
Sure is, link away....

"Opportunity is missed by most people because it comes dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

Offline Sour Kraut

« Reply #11 on: August 13, 2017, 07:04:03 am »
I guess I would have to ask:

Why are you NOT filling up the space with frames with full sheets of foundation ?

By NOT doing so, you are encouraging the construction of 'rogue' combs.

Just my $ 0.02

Gary

Offline robo

• Beekeep On!
« Reply #12 on: August 13, 2017, 07:14:52 am »
I guess I would have to ask:

Why are you NOT filling up the space with frames with full sheets of foundation ?

By NOT doing so, you are encouraging the construction of 'rogue' combs.

Just my $ 0.02

Gary
Foundation is not natural to honeybees and they see the space of the trap partitioned off by the foundation.   They do not "see" foundation as the base for comb.  A swarm trap without foundation is much more desirable.  Use of foundationless frames still leave the cavity open but prevents the need to cut out comb.