Author Topic: Beekeeping Insurance  (Read 1255 times)

Offline BeeFarmer

Beekeeping Insurance
« on: September 22, 2018, 02:33:26 pm »
Does anyone have experience with purchasing insurance through USDA? From what I’ve read it looks like the beekeeper is paid out based on the amount of rainfall received where the colony is located compared to historical data. Basically if it rains less then it should then a beekeeper can submit a claim. I’d like to hear from a beekeeper with first hand experience because my gut is telling me there’s a catch somewhere I’m not seeing.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Beekeeping Insurance
« Reply #1 on: September 22, 2018, 03:32:00 pm »
Hi Beefarmer
I can not speak to the USDA insurance plan but welcome to the forum. I would be skeptical of an insurance plan that only factors one condition into the equation. To many rainy days that will effect the bees foraging time will also effect the quantity of the crop. A good location can turn into a poor producing area with the farmer switching crops. A short extreme heat wave of a few days can cause plants to stop excess nectar production but the rainfall average for the month will be near normal. The other factor it dose not address is price protection against low prices due to abundance production or cheep imports.
This being said I am from Canada and have no knowledge other than what I have read.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.
The following users thanked this post: Mikey N.C.

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2018, 11:07:42 pm »
beefarmer.........
where are you located?
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2018, 04:01:48 pm »
BeeFarmer, there is a detailed article on beekeeping insurance in this month's issue of Bee Culture magazine, Oct. 2018.   It is entitled A Sweet Opportunity For Business Growth by Todd Harris.  The article gives a link, for more info on Rainfall Index Apiculture, ProAg.com/Apiculture.  I briefly looked at this website and the information seemed very similar to the article.
A possible catch?  Probably so.  Mostly the government will know what you have, where it is at, and how much.  This could be ground work for future taxation.  I don't want to sound like a conspiracy theorist or that I don't think I should pay taxes.  :D  Just being realistic. 
As I am a hobbyist beekeeper, I am willing to assume any loss of honey crop due to insufficient rainfall.