Author Topic: Leaves are all gone.  (Read 1786 times)

Offline Alleyyooper

Leaves are all gone.
« on: November 06, 2014, 03:08:26 pm »
Was walking the pup a day ago when we took a different path not normally taken. It was thru some thorn apple trees and hanging in one was a bald faced hornets nest.
That got me to remember many a year ago I had mowed a hay field, then I raked it into wind rows for the loader. I was put to work driving the tractor and dad was on the hay rack moving the hay forward as it came off the loader. Dad had a habit of using the hay fork handle on the side of my head if I didn't take the corner just right and some hay was missed by the loader.
I knew the bald face hornets had a nest in the wind row ahead as I had stirred them up when I mowed and a gain when I rakes the hay. As the area came closer I was all astir as to what I should do. Miss the nest of hornets and get a hay fork up side the head or just teach dad that some times a missed bit of hay was the way to go.
I put that nest up on the load of hay with dad, he came sliding down the side and fell. I stopped the tractor and ran to him. By the time I got there his eyes were swollen nearly shut. I got him to the house for mom to care for him then went back and unhooked the loader and brought the wagon with the hay to the barn. Went in and got a bucket of scalding hot water from moms range got up on that load of hay and scalded those hornets to death.
Even to the day dad died I never told him I put those hornets on the wagon with him. He knows now but will have to wait for a while before he can use that fork handle on me.

The loader was for loose hay and a New Idea brand. Mom's range was a wood burning cook stove that pastel green color I can't remember the brand.

:)  Al
your not fully dressed with out a smile.

Offline Jen

• Platinum Member
Re: Leaves are all gone.
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2014, 03:18:43 pm »
Good story Alley ~ stories are good, keep em comin'
There Is Peace In The Queendom

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2014, 05:04:16 pm »
Great story! Don't know whether to laugh or hold my breath for when the two of you meet up again.  ;D
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter

Offline iddee

• Administrator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2014, 06:00:13 pm »
If you hold your breath, you are gonna meet him before Al does.   :o   ;D
“Listen to the mustn'ts, child. Listen to the don'ts. Listen to the shouldn'ts, the impossibles, the won'ts. Listen to the never haves, then listen close to me... Anything can happen, child. Anything can be.”
― Shel Silverstein

Offline riverbee

• Gold Member
  • ***Forum Sponsor***
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2014, 06:15:13 pm »
great story al, thanks for sharing it!
i keep wild things in a box..........™
if you obey the rules, you miss all the fun.....katherine hepburn
Forum Sponsor