Author Topic: Smoker safety  (Read 1926 times)

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
Smoker safety
« on: July 09, 2018, 05:52:51 pm »
This is a new thread that I split from Jen's topic https://worldwidebeekeeping.com/forum/index.php?topic=7952.0  We were getting off topic, but both were very timely subjects.  Bakersdozen

Lburou wrote:
"I worry about the sparks from starting my smoker.  Judging by the holes burned into my bee jacket, I'm not good at controlling fire.  :)"
Lee_Burough

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Smoker safety
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2018, 09:31:21 pm »
I worry about the sparks from starting my smoker.  Judging by the holes burned into my bee jacket, I'm not good at controlling fire.  :)

I worry too.  I have colonies on a nieces rural home location.  They are usually at work when I visit and sometimes they are visiting relatives for the weekend.  If there were a fire, it's possible no one would catch it while it was small. I always worry about sparks and such.  I carry extra water.  I also always look over my shoulder too as I walk back to the truck then dump my smoker out on their gravel driveway and douse it with water.

Offline neillsayers

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: July 09, 2018, 09:58:43 pm »

I worry too.  I have colonies on a nieces rural home location.  They are usually at work when I visit and sometimes they are visiting relatives for the weekend.  If there were a fire, it's possible no one would catch it while it was small. I always worry about sparks and such.  I carry extra water.  I also always look over my shoulder too as I walk back to the truck then dump my smoker out on their gravel driveway and douse it with water.
[/quote]

I have a plug I whittled from a stick that I use to stop up the outlet of my smoker. Takes about 10 minutes or so and the smoker is cool to the touch. I always touch it on the bottom to make sure. Next time I fire up the leftovers make good dry kindling to start it up.

B13,
I've seen where there have been some bad fires in your state. Any neaar you?
Neill Sayers
Herbhome Bees
USDA Zone 7a

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: July 09, 2018, 10:24:01 pm »

B13,
I've seen where there have been some bad fires in your state. Any neaar you?
No, thank goodness.  The lower central part of the state (Riverrat country) is in an extreme drought. 
On July 5th we went to Salina, KS to hear a concert and spend the night.  We woke up to heavy rain.  Salina got 2-3 inches of rain that day.  Yeah for them!  It was rather isolated, but at least somebody got some rain.  Along I-70 stock ponds were dangerously low or totally dry.  Cows were crowding around these ponds that were in desperate need of rain. 
Thanks for the tip on using a stick to snuff out the fire.  I had a cork at one time. 
There is a beekeeper that sells, on Amazon, a cork on a chain.  I think it's $6-$7.

Offline Some Day

« Reply #4 on: July 09, 2018, 10:40:34 pm »
I bought a galvanized pail with a tight fitting lid that is large enough to hold my smoker, I think it is about 3 or 4 gallon in size.  I just put the smoker in the pail and press on the lid when I am done with the inspections.  I can then place it in the truck bed or trailer and not have to worry about sparks getting away from me.

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2018, 07:57:49 am »
I put my smoker into a metal 5 gallon paint bucket. if i'm done with it I plug the hole. if not I leave it unplugged while traveling to the next yard. no blown spark worries as the bucket is in the toolbox in the back of my truck. here's what you get when a carpenter has a lathe & time on his hands. the plug is attached to the smoker with a metal fishing leader. i do not have a lathe although i do have access to my fiend/carpenter/ beekeeper's lathe. he made this. you can also turn your smoker on it's side & give it a shake to extinguish it.

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2018, 10:02:50 am »
Very cool, rober.  I buy one of those. (hint, hint  ;D)

Offline efmesch

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2018, 02:24:41 pm »
In addition to plugging up the top of the canister with a wine-bottle cork (whittled down a bit to make it fit in easily), I squeeze a piece of sponge rubber into the space between the bellows and the intake pipe.  By closing the smoker at both ends the fire is not only prevented from producing sparks but also extinguishes relatively quickly.

Offline Lburou

• Gold Member
« Reply #8 on: July 10, 2018, 10:18:27 pm »
In addition to plugging up the top of the canister with a wine-bottle cork (whittled down a bit to make it fit in easily), I squeeze a piece of sponge rubber into the space between the bellows and the intake pipe.  By closing the smoker at both ends the fire is not only prevented from producing sparks but also extinguishes relatively quickly.
I like that idea Ef, thanks, I'll try it.  :)
Lee_Burough

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2018, 07:54:28 pm »
Stuff moist green grass on top of the smoker fuel that you are burning as well as stuffing the top with grass when done using it.
I put it in a plastic pail with a lid on it when driving to a different location. the oxygen is burned up and with no air movement and depleting oxygen in the pail the smoker soon goes out. this leaves dry fuel in the smoker to aide lighting the next time
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Sour Kraut

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2018, 10:29:52 am »
Check you local military surplus store for one of these

You can fit a smoker, igniter, hive tool(s), brush, and a can of WD-40 (to get the smoker going) inside

When you are done for the day, lay the smoker inside and gently close the lid.  It's airtight and soon you will hear a muted 'thump' as the oxygen is exhausted and the fire dies out.

For your fuel, grab one of these

also airtight and waterproof, and room for a small baggie of pellets plus a big bag of cotton-waste fuel

The following users thanked this post: efmesch