Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10
General Beekeeping / Re: Can bees negatively imprint on the beekeeper?
« Last post by tedh on Today at 09:01:23 pm »
Just out of curiosity, do you wear glasses NorCal?  Sunglasses?  Ted
Welcome / Re: Hello from the UK
« Last post by tedh on Today at 08:59:09 pm »
Welcome aboard Hachi!  Pull up a chair and make yourself at home!  Ted
General Beekeeping / Re: The Swarm That Left
« Last post by Jen on Today at 08:05:04 pm »
Hi Les, I've had this work every time except once, and they left the queen behind. I put together my box like this, going up:

Bottom board, metal queen excluder, deep or medium box, frames including a frame of brood, lid. Leave all intact for 4-5 days, then remove queen excluder. The bees can come and go but the queen can't get out the front entrance.

Bummer that the bees left after all that work!  :'(
General Beekeeping / Re: The Swarm That Left
« Last post by Some Day on Today at 07:05:10 pm »
Did you place a frame of open brood from another hive in the swarm box?  That will often anchor them to the new hive.
« Last post by Les on Today at 06:53:58 pm »
Welcome Hachi, great folks and tons of great info! 
General Beekeeping / The Swarm That Left
« Last post by Les on Today at 06:50:59 pm »
After removing a swarm from a chimney (with a vacuum), we left them screened in an eight frame deep for the night at the site where we got them.  We did not know if we got the queen. Came back the next day very early and brought them home.  Took off the screening and placed several branches in front of the hive.  That morning I watched them make orientation flights.  Later in the day I popped the lid to add some sugar syrup and they were gone!  Should we have left them screened in longer?  I felt so bad because my hubby worked so hard up on the roof to get them!!  Never again are we doing a roof swarm call!

Beekeeping 101 / Re: Is this normal ?
« Last post by Mikey N.C. on Today at 06:32:46 pm »
Here they're bearding now

« Last post by Jen on Today at 12:08:47 pm »
Hi Rober,  :D That is funny! and wouldn't it be nice if it were as easy as banana's? But there does come a point where we grab at anything to find a reason why the bees don't like our humble selves.

Jerry and I met over a year ago at one of our bee club meetings. He works hard at keeping his bees in good condition. He's been on vaca for about a weekish. When he and family returns, he and I and possibly another beek, are going to get into that bad bootie hive and see if they've calmed down at all.

Time is up for this batch of bees to be nice or not. He may have to requeen again and wait it out..again, or simply move the hive to a different location until the bad bootie girls shape up their attitude.
« Last post by rober on Today at 07:11:43 am »
eat a lot of bananas? that can set them off.
has anyone ever heard of insulin setting them off? I tend my m.d.'s hives for him. he has 2 guys that do his yard work. one of the workers can do anything around the hives short of tap dancing on top of them. if the other guy gets within 30' of the hives they are on him like stink on poop. he uses no cologne or deodorant & does not eat bananas but does inject large doses of insulin several times a day.
« Last post by neillsayers on Today at 01:26:29 am »
Welcome Hachi! :)
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 10