Recent Posts

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10
Swarms, Cut Outs, Trap Outs and Bee Trees / Swarm...3/12/2024
« Last post by iddee on March 12, 2024, 07:27:18 pm »
About 3 lbs   Denton, N.C.
Other Pollinators / Speaker was ecologist focused on bees
« Last post by Bakersdozen on March 10, 2024, 01:05:53 pm »
At our spring state beekeeping meeting our guest speaker was Dr. Keng-Lou James Hung from the University of Oklahoma.  He has done some interesting work studying native bees and honey bees.  He was also a hoot to listen to.  He had made up names for everything!  Solitary queen bees were "single moms' and he described the pollinating advantages of the honey bee makes them the "Swiss Army Knify" bees. In conversation, he admitted to me that he typically doesn't speak to groups of beekeepers but he certainly had info we responsible beekeepers should know.

For those that are interested in native bees and native wildflowers and how they co-exist, Dr. Hung recommended iNaturalist www.inaturalist.org.  There is an opportunity for citizen scientist activities there.  He is very active on this website.  He explained that your observations and pictures become part of a network that scientists use for documentation.
Bee News / Re: Bee's Wrap
« Last post by Bakersdozen on March 10, 2024, 12:43:08 pm »
Good job!
A beekeeping friend of mine makes these and sells them at several farmer's markets.  She gets a good price and sells plenty of them. 
Beekeeping 101 / Re: Beginners Class
« Last post by Bakersdozen on March 10, 2024, 12:40:40 pm »
Twenty eight is nothing to dismiss lightly. That's 28 future beekeepers that received a good start.
I know a beekeeper in South Central Kansas that taught 2 classes that had 5 future beekeepers in each class.  They are off to a good start.
On the other hand, a beekeeper distributor, beekeepers.com, located in the Kansas City area has asked our bee club to be available for packaged bee pick up dates this spring. He has package pick up 4 weekends in April and there can be as many as 700 packages go out in a day.  He has requested that we hand out information about our organization to the buyers because so many of them have not done any preparation or learning prior to pick up.  In so many words, they don't know what they don't know.
Bee News / Re: Bee's Wrap
« Last post by The15thMember on March 09, 2024, 06:10:57 pm »
I made a bunch of beeswax wraps today, enough for everyone to use them for sandwiches when we hike or spend the day at the lake, plus a big one to fit our largest bowl. I really like these things, I gotta say. I've been using the first ones I made for a couple of years now, and they have held up really well. I also refreshed my most frequently used one, because the wax mixture was starting to wear off, and it looks good as new.

Beekeeping 101 / Re: Beginners Class
« Last post by Zweefer on March 09, 2024, 07:00:18 am »
115?!?!?  That is awesome! I thought our 28 was a good turnout.  Glad you are able to promote the craft to so many people.
Welcome / Re: Hi to all
« Last post by Zweefer on March 09, 2024, 06:58:36 am »
Great to have you here!
Honey, Bee Forage; Nectar & Pollen Sources / Re: What blooms where and when
« Last post by iddee on March 08, 2024, 05:20:28 am »
I think spring is here. On my drive yesterday, I think I saw a dozen different blooms. From dead nettle to peaches, to Pears and plums. Yellow bells and tulip magnolias, and a few I can't name.
Honey, Bee Forage; Nectar & Pollen Sources / Re: What blooms where and when
« Last post by The15thMember on March 04, 2024, 01:50:57 pm »
Maples are fully open and have been for maybe 2 weeks.  Today I was walking the dogs over at WCU and saw honey bees all over some ornamental cherries they planted last year after finishing some new dorms.  The tulip magnolias are about to start too.
https://academic.oup.com/jee/article/116/1/68/6961488?login=false&fbclid=IwAR35q59sIo4K5b8MQ8tH83iQrbQjqYkEjPyjrkQfobncBV_XFsmFfYASNSM

This research was published in 2022.  Has anyone else heard anything similar?  Jay Evans, Beltsville lab, is listed as a contributor.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 ... 10