Author Topic: Madder than a wet hen! Well, very annoyed.  (Read 2221 times)

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Madder than a wet hen! Well, very annoyed.
« on: January 06, 2018, 07:18:33 pm »
I goofed and let my driver's license expire.  I went to the driver's license bureau.  Didn't realize you can get a license that is a "real ID" at no extra charge.  I waited for about 30 minutes to find this out.  OK, sounds good.  They told me I need proof of address, proof of social security number, photo ID, and original birth certificate. (These items are all legal documents that the state has on hand, but we can do the leg work for them) OK, a trip to the safe deposit box.  Go back to find out that because I am a married woman that took my husband's name I need a copy of my marriage certificate.  I am encourage to come back on Saturday morning.  Annoyed, I go back to the safe deposit box for my marriage certificate muttering to myself that this is discrimination against married women.

OK, it's Saturday morning and I have all my documents.  The driver's license bureau has a system in place where you can text in your place in line.  When you arrive, the wait won't be as long.  I did this, but it never acknowledged me.  OK, I go.  Packed to the rafters with people waiting.  OK, I get a number and wait...for 3 hours.  Ah, finally they are nearing my number when the computer system skipped over me!  So, I have to wait some more for the next available station.  I commented to the woman helping me that this was an ordeal (I know, I know...it didn't do any good) She asked me why it took 3 trips to get this accomplished.  I told her my story.  I also admitted this might have been easier if I had not let my license expire.
Another woman customer over heard my comments and made a snarky remark about grumpy people.  I bit my tongue and sincerely thanked the individual giving me my license.

I truly see the day when we will need the "real ID" to get onto military bases, access state and federal buildings, fly, and vote. I don't want to get political.  There is already a law going to go into effect this year that you can't board an airplane without one of these ID's.  Missouri doesn't offer this, but Kansas does.

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: Madder than a wet hen! Well, very annoyed.
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2018, 04:19:26 pm »
Why didn't you just apply for your passport and come on up to Canada. Actually it is almost as bad in Canada, but most of the red tape is so we meet the standard to enter the USA. To stay and drive in Canada I just need to show up with my old licence to get renewed and yes it had expired by over a year. To get a license to drive across the boarder I need to go into the big city, have an appointment pay an extra $75.00 and present all that information, or have a pass port.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2018, 05:13:00 pm »
I'm with B13, No thanks, this would be the wrong time of year to go to the big Deep Freeze. The lasttwo weeks here in Mo. has been bad enough and B13 isn't all that far from me. :no: Jack

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #3 on: January 07, 2018, 05:21:15 pm »
We got to 0 Deg F. for 4 days but it is warm and melting again today.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.

Offline Wandering Man

• Gold Member
    • Life Lessons from dogs, bees and others
« Reply #4 on: January 07, 2018, 05:47:44 pm »
Took my first airplane trip this week in 5 years and learned about “real” ID’s. Was happy to learn that Texas DL’s qualify.

Sorry you had such an ordeal getting yours.
Never argue with drunks or crazy people

Offline LazyBkpr

• Gold Member
  • www.outyard.net
    • The Outyard
« Reply #5 on: January 07, 2018, 08:26:15 pm »
DMV...  arrogant, and usually abusive... When I built my Pontoon I also built a trailer that would carry it...   The lady at the DMV wouldn't give me a license for it because she said I couldn't build a trailer to haul a pontoon by myself. I called the police, and the lawyer that had an office right across the square I have used a few times. Both showed up within a few moments of each other. It was the lawyer that explained to the old hag that she did not have the RIGHT to refuse to provide the license/registration. However, she could inform the police that she THOUGHT it might be a fraudulent claim. I invited them to come inspect my trailer. They declined and left laughing while she got me my homemade trailer license plates.
   I have more than once called DMV to ask what I needed to do something specific... gathered what was necessary, drove the twenty miles to the DMV... only to have them tell me I needed something else....     twenty miles back home... twenty miles back to DMV...   I think that THEY should be responsible for fuel, AND wear and tear on my vehicle...
   The last time I renewed my license they took OFF my motorcycle endorsement...   Fortunately I noticed it before I pulled out of the parking spot.. went back in, and she tried to tell me it was too late, i would have to retake the test...   So I asked what was going to happen when I got pulled over on the way home?
  "Oh.. your RIDING your motorcycle?"
   "Yes Ma'am I ride it every day."
  Okay I lied, but she redid my license...    NO, I am NOT going to retake the test because YOU messed up!
   Yeah.... I get annoyed with DMV as much as anyone else does!
Drinking RUM before noon makes you a PIRATE not an alcoholic!

*Sponsor*

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2018, 01:06:22 am »
I have had a similar problem with identification for my bank.

A hassle for B13 but at least the issue was sorted relatively quickly. I have been trying to add my wife to my current account since October and it's still not sorted.

One slight plus ..... the bank gave me recompense for my complaint.
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline brooksbeefarm

• Gold Member
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2018, 11:10:05 am »
My wife and i went through an ordeal with our Bank when we put our son and daughter  on our checking and savings accounts. To make things worse we have everything in a Revocable Trust. I will have to say, it all wasn't the Bank's fought, the government regulations played a Big part. The Revocable Trust was making it harder for politician's to get their cut !!! :yes: :laugh: Jack

Offline CBT

• Gold Member
  • Age gets better with wine
« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2018, 07:54:44 pm »
When I took a homemade trailer to the DMV for inspection and get a trailer ID the inspector wanted me to build him one just like it. Made my day  :yes:

Offline Bakersdozen

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2018, 07:41:38 pm »
Here is an article about the history of the Real IDs. http://www.countryliving.com/life/a46438/real-id-domestic-flying/

Offline Barbarian

« Reply #10 on: January 13, 2018, 05:09:07 am »
A couple of moans.

My wife has become a non-person. She doesn't drive and her passport has expired. I think she might be slightly worried when she sees me digging in the back yard.

First Direct Bank (linked to HSBC) has been advertising a £100 cherry for people switching to an account with them. I looked through their on-line application but was put off by all the personal financial details they required. A phone application would need a 40 minute call for each name on the account.... another no-no.
" Another Owd Codger "

Offline Les

• Gold Member
« Reply #11 on: February 12, 2018, 04:15:10 pm »
Glad I kept my maiden name LOL!