Author Topic: ProVap 110  (Read 2497 times)

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
ProVap 110
« on: January 24, 2018, 05:35:45 pm »
Hi All, pulled the trigger on a ProVap 110 to help more efficiently vaporize my hives as well as to save time. I have watched and read allot about it, but have a couple easy questions

1- Still cover entrance when vaporizing from the back? Or is there enough being injected into the hive to not worry over it.

2- what have you found the best place to drill the hole, bottom board as suggested by manufacturer, elsewhere? Why?

Thanks in advance....
Cheers, Bill

Offline apisbees

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
Re: ProVap 110
« Reply #1 on: January 25, 2018, 03:12:31 pm »
If you drill it in the bottom super If you rotate your supers the next time you come to do it the hole may not be in the bottom super any more. In the bottom board the hole will always be at the bottom regardless of hive body manipulation.
It is the same as when some beekeepers would drill a hole in the upper super for winter ventilation instead of using a inner cover. after a few years he would have holes drilled in almost every brood box.
Honey Judge, Beekeeping Display Coordinator, Armstrong Fair and Rodeo.
The following users thanked this post: Nugget Shooter

Offline Dunkel

« Reply #2 on: January 25, 2018, 08:22:37 pm »
Nugget I got one back in the summer. Here's what I have determined so far. 

1. Always wear a respirator, you can't get by without it period, like I could with the varrox on occasion for a couple hives.

2. Also it does draw some juice from your choice of 120 production.  The inverter worked fine on the jeep but the gator can't keep up, it needs a true alternator. Walking a couple miles takes up the time gained ;D

3. I need to drill holes to hold the device in place.  I'll probably do it through the bottom boards.  I've been blocking the entrance and applying that way.  It comes out quick and strong I hate when it falls out while I'm doing some prep.  Wear respirator.

4.  When finished make sure you clean it out with at least some water until it comes out the tube. If not the next time it will be clogged and the pressure will build up and the cap will pop up and scare you.  Wear respirator.

It really was the right tool for me but if only doing ten or less the set up would take about as long.  I'm picking up one of the harbor freight 89 dollar generators for the gator.  I'll use it for this and some other farm duties.  Also I'll think about how I set up a yard to take advantage of the device and make things a little easier. A 25 ft cord is a tiny bit short sometimes and a 50 is frustrating on tangles especially with blinders on :D.

The following users thanked this post: Perry, Nugget Shooter

Offline Perry

• Global Moderator
  • Gold Member
    • Brandt's Bees
« Reply #3 on: January 26, 2018, 11:50:23 am »
I have one as well but have yet to use it. I have heard that in cold weather it works just as well using it from the upper entrance so in spring that is what I will do. I will just insert it in the top which is not a very big entrance, just enough to vent. I believe that is what some of the guys up here are doing, or they use a stick in the lower entrance. Most don't seem to bother blocking the hive off after treatment at all.
"It is not the man who has too little, but the man who craves more, that is poor."      
Forum Supporter
The following users thanked this post: Nugget Shooter

Offline Nugget Shooter

• Nugget Shooter
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2018, 12:07:21 pm »
Thank you all for the advice and you are correct a great unit. Drilled holes in the bottom boards treatment takes only a minute or two between hives reloading etc. I did cover the entrances as I went along and uncovered after 7 to 10 minutes. Bees were much happier and less aggressive then when I shoved the wand in the front entrance  :yes: That could really rile them up sometimes and yes I agree wear a respirator and some heavy gloves to remove caps and tap unit onto a new cup as it is HOT. Very happy with my purchase and I use a generator in my yard with a 100 foot cord (rolls up so no tangles) and easy peasy..... Best part is it really sends out a cloud for around 20 seconds fully treating every corner of the hive without roasting and bees in the process.
Cheers, Bill
The following users thanked this post: Perry

Offline rober

• Gold Member
« Reply #5 on: March 06, 2018, 09:16:33 am »
these look like well made units. the drawback for me is that they need AC current. I built a few battery powered vaporizers that i'm powering with an auto battery jumper pack.

i've seen videos & since i have one i'm going to give this a try. a mason jar fits so i could carry a few jars with me when traveling to outyards.